Rollerball w/ Sierra Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StuartCovey

I've been looking around but haven't been able to find much so I thought I ask here.
What types of rollerballs (if any) can use Sierra bushings?

Thanks

EDIT: Also where would be best place to get rollerballs? Quality, Price, etc.
And do they usually come with the required tubes? I found a couple places where they did not come with them, so I was wondering...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

No.

For one thing the tube size must be the same to even consider using the same bushings.

Also rollerball pens have 2 bushings total with two different tube sizes.

You will need to buy a new set if bushings and drill bits if you don't already have them.

I'd suggest the atrax which the same bushings can be used for the jr gent 2 as well as the higher end jr series.

healeydays

CSUSA's Executive Rollerball is close, as it used the same diameter tube, but you will have to fine tune it at the ends.

Last edited:

StuartCovey

Ok, I did a little more looking and found that out. Thanks for help.

Also where would be best place to get rollerballs? Quality, Price, etc.
And do they usually come with the required tubes? I found a couple places where they did not come with them, so I was wondering...

Thanks,

healeydays

You need to keep an eye out on the group sales that have been going on here. They have had one that buys from CSUSA that makes these RB pens very reasonable.

LanceD

I'm not aware of any rollerball kits that don't come with bushings. As for where to get them, exotics, Classic Nib, CSUSA, Penn State, Beartooth Woods, Woodturningz among many others. Check each of their sites and compare prices.

BSea

For a jr Gent 1 size, I go to Timberbits. As long as you order $80 or more, the shipping is free. And even though they are located in Australia, many times they arrive faster than some places here in the US. I like the Jr Gent 1 size, and the same bushing can be used for the Baron, Sedona, and a few others.

You didn't mention if you turned between centers, or on a mandrel. If you turn between centers, then I'd suggest Penturners Products for bushings.

StuartCovey

For a jr Gent 1 size, I go to Timberbits. As long as you order $80 or more, the shipping is free. And even though they are located in Australia, many times they arrive faster than some places here in the US. I like the Jr Gent 1 size, and the same bushing can be used for the Baron, Sedona, and a few others.

You didn't mention if you turned between centers, or on a mandrel. If you turn between centers, then I'd suggest Penturners Products for bushings.

I use a mandrel.
So you guys are saying all rollerballs come with tubes?

Thanks

Dan Masshardt

For a jr Gent 1 size, I go to Timberbits. As long as you order $80 or more, the shipping is free. And even though they are located in Australia, many times they arrive faster than some places here in the US. I like the Jr Gent 1 size, and the same bushing can be used for the Baron, Sedona, and a few others. You didn't mention if you turned between centers, or on a mandrel. If you turn between centers, then I'd suggest Penturners Products for bushings.

Have you been to pen turners products recently? I would recommend him normally but there's almost nothing left. That said, I believe there are some cigar bushings and I would jump on them now if You want to tbc.

And to clarify just a bit, the jr gent 1 and baron have one bushing that is different.

Good advice though!

My recommendation is the atrax or baron. Exotic blanks. Or woodcraft if you have a store close and want to try just one kit.

Last edited:

BSea

For a jr Gent 1 size, I go to Timberbits. As long as you order $80 or more, the shipping is free. And even though they are located in Australia, many times they arrive faster than some places here in the US. I like the Jr Gent 1 size, and the same bushing can be used for the Baron, Sedona, and a few others. You didn't mention if you turned between centers, or on a mandrel. If you turn between centers, then I'd suggest Penturners Products for bushings.

Have you been to pen turners products recently? I would recommend him normally but there's almost nothing left. That said, I believe there are some cigar bushings and I would jump on them now if You want to tbc.

And to clarify just a bit, the jr gent 1 and baron have one bushing that is different.

Good advice though!

My recommendation is the atrax or baron. Exotic blanks. Or woodcraft if you have a store close and want to try just one kit.
No, I haven't bought anything from there is some time. But I thought people could still get what they wanted by sending a msg to him on the site. But I might be wrong. I've never done it. Not any issue anyway since the op of the thread uses a mandrel. And his bushing don't work with mandrels.

And I didn't know the baron had 1 different bushing.:redface: But it's been a few years since I've done a baron. Frankly, I don't see the appeal of the baron over the Jr Gent 1. The look very similar, but the baron cost more.

SSGMEADER

Learn to turn between centers and get a digital caliper, it will save you money in the long run.Once I started doing that I no longer had to deal with mandrel flex and trying to remember what bushings I needed for the pen I was turning. I think I had like 9 different sets of bushings and had accidently purchased one I already had a second time.

StuartCovey

Learn to turn between centers and get a digital caliper, it will save you money in the long run.Once I started doing that I no longer had to deal with mandrel flex and trying to remember what bushings I needed for the pen I was turning. I think I had like 9 different sets of bushings and had accidently purchased one I already had a second time.

I will look into that. Its always a pain that when ever I want to try a new style of pen I have to purchase separate bushings.
And yes, I definitely want to get a a digital caliper either way because of bushing wear.

Top Bottom