Rollerball twist? Is it possible?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Beedeejay

Hi All,
As the title suggests I am wondering if it is possible to get a rollerball kit that works via a twist mechanism or even a click mechanism for that matter, basically I am after a capless Rollerball kit?
Is there anything like that out there?
And help will be appreciated,
Cheers Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have just tested a kit from Mark Willey at Marksman pens. The Falcon will work with a rollerball with a few small mods. You have to cut the normal spring in half and the tube length needs to be 3.13 ".

The pen would be longer than a Sierra style pen ( .8" ).

Hope this info Help?

Beedeejay

Won't a rollerball dry out some if uncapped?

Rollerball Pen Refills Glossary
This is a link to a Rollerball refill page. The Second one down states it is for a capless rollerball? So that is what got me thinking and made me ask the question, I love the feel of the rollerball but the caps do annoy me whenever I am out and about

I will look into the other kit that was mentioned above, thanks

If anyone else knows of any others that would be great

Cheers Ben

Dan Masshardt

I have plans to try to modify some pens for a pilot g2 gel refill (widely popular and same size as rollerball). If I do, I'll experiment with a regular rollerball refill.

Just to ultra careful to never leave the tip exposed in your pocket on a rollerball. Ask me how I know. ;-)

alphageek

Former Moderator
Won't a rollerball dry out some if uncapped?

Rollerball Pen Refills Glossary
This is a link to a Rollerball refill page. The Second one down states it is for a capless rollerball? So that is what got me thinking and made me ask the question, I love the feel of the rollerball but the caps do annoy me whenever I am out and about

I will look into the other kit that was mentioned above, thanks

If anyone else knows of any others that would be great

Cheers Ben

The answer to your question was right on that page: " A rollerball pen requires a cap to prevent the cartridge from drying out. "

Although it may be possible to create a pen to fit a rollerball cartridge w/o a cap, I wouldn't recommend it. The advantage to a rollerball is its smoother writing - you are likely to lose that advantage if not capped for extended periods.

Turnings

I have made a few Sierra style twist top pens & used the Schmidt easy Flow 9000 refill. Never had one dry out and I like the refill.
SCHMIDT® easyFLOW 9000 combines the advantages of the well-known ball point refill with those of a roller ball refill.

SCHMIDT® easyFLOW 9000

walshjp17

The answer to your question was right on that page: " A rollerball pen requires a cap to prevent the cartridge from drying out. "

That quote is from the top of the page. This one seems a bit more relevant in this context:

Short Schmidt P8126 Capless Rollerball Refill

p8126_rb_refill.jpg
The Schmidt P8126 Rollerball refill is shorter and shaped with a small "hat" plastic piece on end opposite the writing tip. It features the same fluid ink that is specially formulated to remain capless. The Retro 51 Tornado and Delta rollerball pens are the most well-known to use this type of refill. It allows for the convenience of a twist-action pen with the rich, fluid rollerball ink.

Beedeejay

That quote is from the top of the page. This one seems a bit more relevant in this context:

Short Schmidt P8126 Capless Rollerball Refill

p8126_rb_refill.jpg
The Schmidt P8126 Rollerball refill is shorter and shaped with a small "hat" plastic piece on end opposite the writing tip. It features the same fluid ink that is specially formulated to remain capless. The Retro 51 Tornado and Delta rollerball pens are the most well-known to use this type of refill. It allows for the convenience of a twist-action pen with the rich, fluid rollerball ink.

Thanks John,
That is the one I was talking about, i just could work out to get all that info in here, there is also different size refils so shorter and longer, the shorter one looks to be about 0.3 approx different in length to the Parker refill so I'm just wondering if that is enough to stop is working in some of the kits,
I have a fancy monte blanc selling shop nearby that stock a lot of refils, I might take some different kits in and try out different refills to see what works,

Thanks to everyone else for their tips, thoughts and links I will be haveing a better look at them this afternoon
Cheers Ben

Top Bottom