Rollerball Sierra?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

My brother is getting married and wants a Sierra Elegant Beauty like I made my mom, but in a rollerball.

Any idea where I might find such a beast? Does someone make a parker style insert that is a rollerball?

I would be interested in something that looked similar as well.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

yes and no.

There are couple capless rollerball refills out there that won't dry up. But you'll have to lengthen the tube to accommodate the extra length I believe.

On the other hand there are some high quality parker refills (private reserve, etc.) that write just as well in my opinion. Check Indy-Pen-dance and Exotics for those.

Fibonacci

I was looking at the super bowl 8900 over at exotic blanks. Setting aside the marketing pitch, it sounds like Ed thinks they are better than some of the other PR inks.

As picky as he (my brother) is, I might just want to avoid this project altogether. Some people/projects are just not worth the effort.

ctubbs

As picky as he (my brother) is, I might just want to avoid this project altogether. Some people/projects are just not worth the effort.

Jason, I thought I was the only one with ken like that!:eek: Beat of luck with this project. Have you tried the, "I'm sorry, I'm so far behind right now, I don't know when I'll be able to get to your pen. If you wish, come on over and use my lathe and make your own.":rolleyes:
Charles

Fibonacci

"I'm sorry, I'm so far behind right now, I don't know when I'll be able to get to your pen. If you wish, come on over and use my lathe and make your own.":rolleyes:
Charles

It might work, given that he lives in AK and I live in CA.

Then again, he might take me up on it, which would be a fundamentally different issue...

Last edited:

OOPS

You might enlist his pickiness by calling it "discretionary opinion." Make the pen and provide both refills and ask him to try them both and tell you which is superior. He might love the opportunity to "review" them for you.

Fibonacci

Overall, I get along with my family reasonably well, but I seem to be the one with the mechanical/electrical skills, so I get drug into all kinds of crazy projects. They don't seem to understand the amount of effort that goes into things and they are generally not happy with the results.

We call that requirements creep at work.

If you want it perfect, do it yourself or pay for perfection. If this is a favor, it will be as good as I can get it within the time and cost limits I am willing to devote to it.

Fibonacci

You might enlist his pickiness by calling it "discretionary opinion." Make the pen and provide both refills and ask him to try them both and tell you which is superior. He might love the opportunity to "review" them for you.

That would be a good excuse to buy some for myself. I have been wanting to try them.

ctubbs

Often we show our list, You can have it fast, good and cheep. Pick two. If it is fast and cheep, it won't be good, fast and good, it won't be cheep if it is good and cheep, it won't be fast. Your choice.
Charles

PenMan1

How about using a PR GEL ink refill? It writes like a rollerball. The gel ink lays down a nice line of ink, making all names in a guest book very legible. The only problem is that you must wait a few seconds to keep the ink from smearing.

I have sold a few Sierra types with "gel rollerballs" as the customers call them. The customers that buy these love'em.

Just a suggestion.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
brother

Free, perfect, now.
If it was me, I'd just tell him you can't get one that fits. If you do and he's older he will expect free refills for life as his right...if he's younger he'll expect free refills for life because his older brother should "take care" of him.

I gave lots of pens to family but not a single one to a sibling.

Fibonacci

At one time, I had a policy that I didn't do projects for family. Unfortunately, I relaxed that when I had kids because I could make something nice for much less than I could buy it.

I already made him groomsman gifts for less than material cost.

This whole thing precipitated when I made my mom a desk set for her office while she was visiting. She was showing them all off, now her thinks I owe him a set too.

I hate people.

Top Bottom