Rollerball Refills Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Howdy.

I've just recently gotten into making Rollerball pens, and I have a question about the refills.

So far, I've ended up making three variants of the Classic style kits, and they all have different refills. Here's what I have.

There's a Schmidt and a Hauser that are both the same length, and have the same profile, but the Schmidt is a little thicker. The Hauser won't work in the pen that the Schmidt goes in, but the Schmidt will work in the Hauser's pen.

Finally, there is a no name refill (from woodturningz) that is thinner than both the Schmidt and Hauser. The body of the refill is of similar length and profile, but the nib sticks out farther than the others (I have several of these, and they are all like this). It will work in the Hauser pen (though the nib sticks out just a tad farther), but not the Schmidt. Neither the Schmidt or the Hauser will work in the no name refill's pen.

Can someone explain this to me? It's got me pretty confused, and I don't want to pass this confusion on to my customer.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Howdy.

I've just recently gotten into making Rollerball pens, and I have a question about the refills.

So far, I've ended up making three variants of the Classic style kits, and they all have different refills. Here's what I have.

There's a Schmidt and a Hauser that are both the same length, and have the same profile, but the Schmidt is a little thicker. The Hauser won't work in the pen that the Schmidt goes in, but the Schmidt will work in the Hauser's pen.

Finally, there is a no name refill (from woodturningz) that is thinner than both the Schmidt and Hauser. The body of the refill is of similar length and profile, but the nib sticks out farther than the others (I have several of these, and they are all like this). It will work in the Hauser pen (though the nib sticks out just a tad farther), but not the Schmidt. Neither the Schmidt or the Hauser will work in the no name refill's pen.

Can someone explain this to me? It's got me pretty confused, and I don't want to pass this confusion on to my customer.

Thanks.

Also, what are the "no name" refills called so I'll know what to tell my customer.

Whaler

I have found that Schmidt refillls work in all rollerball pens as I replace all no name and Hauser refills with Schmidt prior to the customer getting a pen.

I've found them all to be interchangeable - have not run into an issue where I couldn't discard the Hauser which comes with the kit and replace it with a better quality Scmidt...

I have found that Schmidt refillls work in all rollerball pens as I replace all no name and Hauser refills with Schmidt prior to the customer getting a pen.

That just doesn't seem to be the case with these. :confused:

I've tried to get the Schmidt to work in some of the smaller "no name" refills pens, and it just won't fit. The insider of the nib is too small for it.

Whaler

I've found them all to be interchangeable - have not run into an issue where I couldn't discard the Hauser which comes with the kit and replace it with a better quality Scmidt...

That just doesn't seem to be the case with these. :confused:

I've tried to get the Schmidt to work in some of the smaller "no name" refills pens, and it just won't fit. The insider of the nib is too small for it.

Use a small round tapered craft file to open the hole up a bit.

Top Bottom