Rollerball recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rholiday

I'm looking for a rollerball that has a fatter nib area than the Baron, (so that it would be easier to grip), but still in the Baron's general price range. I've looked at vendor catalogs and SOYP, but I'm having trouble trying to compare the relative sizes.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm looking for a rollerball that has a fatter nib area than the Baron, (so that it would be easier to grip), but still in the Baron's general price range. I've looked at vendor catalogs and SOYP, but I'm having trouble trying to compare the relative sizes.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob
I think you have to look at some of the bigger kits like the Ligero, PSI Olympian, Chairman etc. These all seem to have a little thicker grip area to go with their overall larger size.

magpens

A little bigger, eh ? I just measured the Baron and compared it with a Jr Gent II. At the point just behind the ridge at the top of the 0.43" long nib section (the Baron is hexagonal there) the Baron is 0.325" thick maximum, whereas the Jr Gent II (it is round at the same point) is 0.320" thick. Seems like a pretty common size.

I just tried writing with both and I agree with you that a little fatter would make it easier to grip. The fact that the Baron is hexagonal there (0.300" thick minimum) makes matters worse.

If you go to the full-size Emperor, the measurement is 0.39" (round). That's not in the same price range though !! I don't have any intermediate size pen readily available.

Edit: Oh, I just found one ... the El Grande is 0.39" and is in the same price range as the Baron but maybe not quite as nice.

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=59

https://www.arizonasilhouette.com/c...=7fccfc42f7935da6750efa7578e34262&Screen=SRCH

Last edited:

zig613

I would recommend the Churchill a Berea kit sold at Exotics, Bear Tooth Woods, and William Wood-Write.

Wade

magpens

I never noticed it until you asked, but I just picked up my pen, and yes, you can force the double-tube Vertex Supreme rollerball to rattle if you shake it fairly hard; if you just shake it gently it does not rattle. The single-tube Magnetic Vertex has a slightly different placement of the magnet and I think it is more prone to rattle. I don't have one of those. So .... do I read you correctly in thinking that you don't want a pen that rattles ? :rolleyes:

The Zen has a magnetic cap and it does not rattle. Maybe that's because it has a plastic liner inside the cap. It also has a stronger magnet and overall feels to be a better engineered pen, IMO.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The churchill is also an easy pen to make closed end. The "stock" finial is not a great fit for the cap to "post" anyhow, so make it look like you planned it not to post.

It is a very nice writing nib (stock).
FWIW,
Ed

Alex D

+1 for the Churchill. Paired with a pitch black blank from beartooth, a Churchill is my daily writer. I really like the grip and the lighter weight.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A little bigger, eh ? I just measured the Baron and compared it with a Jr Gent II. At the point just behind the ridge at the top of the 0.43" long nib section (the Baron is hexagonal there) the Baron is 0.325" thick maximum, whereas the Jr Gent II (it is round at the same point) is 0.320" thick. Seems like a pretty common size.

I just tried writing with both and I agree with you that a little fatter would make it easier to grip. The fact that the Baron is hexagonal there (0.300" thick minimum) makes matters worse.

If you go to the full-size Emperor, the measurement is 0.39" (round). That's not in the same price range though !! I don't have any intermediate size pen readily available.

Edit: Oh, I just found one ... the El Grande is 0.39" and is in the same price range as the Baron but maybe not quite as nice.

Bear Tooth Woods - El Grande Fountain/Rollerball Pen Kits

https://www.arizonasilhouette.com/c...=7fccfc42f7935da6750efa7578e34262&Screen=SRCH
That's the reason Jr Gent II was not in my list...it is about the same size as the Baron in the grip area

Top Bottom