rollerball question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tone

It seems to me every rollerball pen that I have made and used regardless of which refill used doesn't seem to write well for very long. Unlike ballpoints which seem to write consistant until they run out of ink, the rollerball performance seems to gradually decline from the start until they write so poorly that I change it which is not very long in comparison to a parker or cross ballpoint. I don't keep the pens uncapped unless writing.

I wonder if being clipped in my pocket all day nib upwards when not in use is the problem. No way to fix that other than trying to put the clip on the other end.

Any thoughts on this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

It seems to me every rollerball pen that I have made and used regardless of which refill used doesn't seem to write well for very long. Unlike ballpoints which seem to write consistant until they run out of ink, the rollerball performance seems to gradually decline from the start until they write so poorly that I change it which is not very long in comparison to a parker or cross ballpoint. I don't keep the pens uncapped unless writing.

I wonder if being clipped in my pocket all day nib upwards when not in use is the problem. No way to fix that other than trying to put the clip on the other end.

Any thoughts on this?

And you're sure they aren't writing poorly BECUASE they are running out of ink? Also, if you are using the refils that come with the kit, you may want to upgrade and try something else. How many have done this to you and what brand were they?

greggas

as far as rollerball goes. IMHO, Schmidt is the only way to go. I have always thought that any rollerball runs out of ink MUCH faster than a ballpoint. When my rollerballs start to write poorly is usually is because they are low on ink..

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
as far as rollerball goes. IMHO, Schmidt is the only way to go. I have always thought that any rollerball runs out of ink MUCH faster than a ballpoint. When my rollerballs start to write poorly is usually is because they are low on ink..
My wife likes rollerballs and used to buy them over the counter...they do run out of ink faster than ballpoints. I think because of the nature of the ink they just use more ink in writing than ballpoint.

tone

Yes I've used mostly schmidt even the metal ones. I use fountain pens mostly but I want to provide customers with pens that write consistently good. Now trying G2 and Uniball Impact refills. The Gel refills for my parker style pens run out quickly but write good until they are empty.

Thanks for the input.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I found the same thing and have decided to use Schmidt refills from Exotics.
It's worth a couple bucks to have a happy customer.

PenMan1

In my shop, it is a Schmidt rollerball or no rollerball. I have simply just quit buying the kits that come with the Hauser refills. Hauser only writes for about a week and do not write smooth. Also, I noticed that I could acetone wash the ink from the Hauser refill.

BigguyZ

I bought some Rollerball sized Gell fills a bit ago. I plan on trying those out in a rollerball pen and see how that works. Otherwise, you can always switch to fountains. :biggrin:

Top Bottom