Rollerball memory?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

I received a call from a client for whom I made a rollerball (Jr. Gent) a few months ago.
She said that her son, who's left handed, had tried to use the pen last night and it wouldn't write properly, the flow was scratched and broken etc., yet when she tried it, and she is right handed, it worked without any problem at all.
She asked if there was such a thing as a left handed rollerball :confused::biggrin: Maybe there is?? availbale from the sky hook and rubber nails shop no doubt:)
I suggested that the rollerball had probably developed memory to her style of writing hence the problem but I did say I would ask the question of some experts:)

Well, they weren't available so I thought Id ask on here:biggrin:......Does a rollerball develope memory after its been used for a while?
Her son also drags his hand when writing and he's about to learn FP writing at school so I guess he'll have a few problems with wet ink etc.
Has anyone had complaints from left handed cutomers who've bought a fountain pen?
Regards, Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I would say it has to do with the tip being "pushed" instead of "pulled". You know what I mean? Because of the angle, the tip is being pushed toward the paper when used left-handed and pulled away with a righty. That's the only explanation that I can give you. If the pen were held perpendicular to the paper, in theory, it should always write the same...

Daniel

I have noticed that a lot of my rollerballs do not like to write on any paper after it has been touched. I suspect it is from the oils in our skin. I am also pretty sure that a better quality refill and ink would overcome this problem.

pssherman

Part of the problem may be that he is holding the pen at too shallow of an angle with the paper. Have him try it again while holding the pen more upright.

If the pen is held at too shallow of an angle the ball will not make sufficient contact with the paper to transfer the ink properly.

Rmartin

Yeah, blame it on us left-handers.:biggrin:

Well, at least they don't burn us a the stake anymore.:redface:

I understand the fast drying inks allow left-handers the use a FP, but I have never used one.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I was going to suggest the pen angle, too.. but Daniel's point about oils made me
stop and think..
I know that only the tip of the ball extends from the refill barrel, so if it is tilted
too far, the edge of the barrel may be contacting the paper instead of the ball
making the contact.

I'm not aware of refills developing a memory, but if the ball gets fouled I suppose
it could happen. Would it happen in only one direction? again, I suppose it could..

I'd try rolling it in all directions, tilted at every angle and see if it frees up. If you
replace the refill and he still has trouble, it might be the angle he's holding.

ps.. Richard? You .. uh .. you got a match?

talbot

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I'm sure that the answer is amongst them somewhere, probably wrong angle or maybe even the refill quality..
regards, Bill

Top Bottom