Rollerball or Ballpoint???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Those that sell pens do you find ballpoint pens are a better seller than rollerballs??? Which writes nicer??? Is a rollerball a more upscale pen??? Is there an advantage of one over the other??? I assume certain kits only accept one or the other or are they all interchangable??? I want to put a list of higer end kits( by higher end I mean something other than the slimlines and their cousins) together for the CSUSA buy and being I have never bought kits from them I am open for suggestions. Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenAffair

Well I can't say which sells better, but a Rollerball is definitely a better writing pen, and generally is more upmarket. The fitting is different to a standard cross-type refill, more like a parker refill.

Russell.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
When I sell a pen I specifically ask the buyer what they look for, what they look out for, etc. In general, the roller-ball seems to be considered a nicer pen, although there are a fair number of people who prefer ball points, even when spending $50 to $70 for a pen.

bitshird

I sell more Ball Points than Rollerballs, But Rollerballs write so much better, especially the Schmidt 5888, My customers seem to think that capped pens are too much trouble. that or they are afraid they would loose the cap some how.

My personal preference when I'm scribbling (I can't say I write..not the same as what I do), is a ballpoint. It will take more abuse at the tip than a rollerball... a RB does make me slow down and form my letters better.

In my sales at the last two shows I think I sold more cigar style ball points than anything. And in an overall view of this past year, I would guess it's gone about 60/40 in favor of the ball point.. the rollerballs actually sell at a little higher in price than the cigars so maybe based on sales, the rollerballs had a better return.

Ligget

A rollerball will write better as the ink is more liquid and flow is better than the ballpoint, most of the higher end pens I make are rollerballs.

nava1uni

I offer either a ball point or gel writer refill. The gel writer refill can be used in all of the pens that use a parker style refill. I have used the gel writer refill for years and it works really well. It allows people to have a rollerball if they desire. Just another option to increase sales.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will add in another dimension to this. Not everyone will see this as important but to some it will be. I have to fill in forms quite often and many are multiple copies. I have found the rollerball quite messy and inadequate on quality forms. The Postal forms here for express delivery are very smooth and rollerball ink takes several minutes to be non-smearing. Also, the pressure needed for several layers of forms work better with regular ball points.

I used a roller ball for a few months but the frequency with which I ran into the need to do forms and copies and on very smooth paper - this drove me back to ball point usage.

george

1. fountain pen
2. rollerball pen
3. ballpoint pen

That is the level of interest of my customers. Those who do not want to use fountain pen, always pick rollerbal. Never ballpoint.

hughbie

the only rollerrball i've ever used is the standard rollerball that comes with the baron kit. i guess i should find and try a schmidt instead. the 'hauser' just doesn't tricke my trigger......it might be cause the point is very fine....i don't use a heavy hand but it stills seems to want to dig in....
does this make any sense to anyone but me?

I will add in another dimension to this. Not everyone will see this as important but to some it will be. I have to fill in forms quite often and many are multiple copies. I have found the rollerball quite messy and inadequate on quality forms. The Postal forms here for express delivery are very smooth and rollerball ink takes several minutes to be non-smearing. Also, the pressure needed for several layers of forms work better with regular ball points.

I used a roller ball for a few months but the frequency with which I ran into the need to do forms and copies and on very smooth paper - this drove me back to ball point usage.

Didn't think about it, but may be source of my preference... in my years in transportation, almost every form we used was multiple copies. Back in the days when we actually used carbon paper, you HAD to write (in my case scribble) very hard to get through all the copies. With the new carbonless papers, not so much, but still hard enough to activate that last copy. Waybills are usually up to 5 copies. Early on, airwaybills were 9 to 12 copies, except Aeroflot (Russian airlines) it was a memeograph master up until the late '70s. Even the newer computer waybills were a double set of 3 or 4 copies each.

Rudy Vey

Personally, I use both RB and ballpoints, this is a decision I have to make daily what pen to take to work - most of the time I choose a ballpoint, but with a gel refill (but have some rollerballs on my desk). Lately, its a Sierra Click I choose for a ballpoint. Just checked on my sales for this year, and it looks that I sold a bit more roller balls than ball points!!

Ligget

the only rollerrball i've ever used is the standard rollerball that comes with the baron kit. i guess i should find and try a schmidt instead. the 'hauser' just doesn't tricke my trigger......it might be cause the point is very fine....i don't use a heavy hand but it stills seems to want to dig in....
does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Hugh I throw the Hauser refills away and use Schmidt 888`s, what a BIG difference in writing quality, try it!:)

Top Bottom