Roller Ball Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

The only roller balls I have ever made are Cambridge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice, classy-looking roller ball that is under $20. for the kit?

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Churchill, Apollo Infinity, Triton. There are many out there; check out the PSI, Craft Supplies, Arizona Silhouettes, Exotic Blanks, Classic Nob and other vendor catalogs.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I really like the Triton - the other pens that have been mentioned are nice too. It's largely a matter of taste.

Some people don't like the fact that the lower barrel of the Triton is a little shorter than most other RBs. It doesn't bother me, but it's pretty simple to use a slightly longer tube in place of the standard lower tube that comes with the Triton kit.

BSea

I like the Jr. Retro, but it may have climbed over the $20 mark. Basically a Jr Gent II with a little more style (not bling). If the watch the Lazerlinez sales, you can get the eagle for just under $20. Not much bling, but solid stainless.

Shock me

I have a very low tolerance for bling.

My current fave in the sub $20 range is the chrome Atrax from Exotic Blanks (and probably others). I like the simple, no nonsense minimalist cap and centerband. I wish it came in rhodium plating...

Jr Gent II: fairly low bling too, but the centerband is a bit more ornate and I prefer the simpler profile of the Atrax front section

Triton: the centerband way exceeds my bling limit

Sedona: I don't care for the facetted front section

Jr Retro: the flared finial is different, it's growing on me

Vertex: I prefer a second barrel to the long metal cap

+1 on Lazerlinez sales, you can get both the Eagle and Desire for under $20 sometimes. Both are nice stainless steel, I prefer the Desire for its simpler finial

I'm hoping not to get flamed, this is just my own personal taste. Others might see elegance in what looks like bling to me, it's all good.

Rink

I like the Atrax also. Very hefty, very clean. It's my daily carry pen, and my wife carries one also and loves it. I also like the Navigator from Woodcraft, very affordable, although the hexagonal nib isn't my favorite. Here's a couple pics of a red one. The Triton is nice, but as mentioned above, has a bit of bling. The couple pics of the black one here show chrome and gold. I also made a chrome/satin one with black walnut and turquoise/aluminum segments. slightly less blingy w/ the satin than with the gold. My first time uploading pics in a reply, hope it works.

WP_20140805_040.jpg

WP_20140805_035.jpg

WP_20140805_046.jpg

WP_20140805_048.jpg

preacherman

I also like the atrax. I have one as my carry pen with a nice piece of amboyna burl. It's a simple kit that you dress up with your blank. Like others have mentioned I don't like lots details in the hardware.

Cwalker935

I have only tried PSI's classic, the orion, and woodcraft's navigator. I like the navigator despite it having too many parts that have to be pressed together. How does the navigator compare to the jr or atrax?

BSea

I have a very low tolerance for bling.

I'm hoping not to get flamed, this is just my own personal taste. Others might see elegance in what looks like bling to me, it's all good.
No flame from me. I agree completely. I like the "Bling" that I put on the pen. Like custom finials, centerband accent rings, and segments.

beck3906

Just depends on whether or not you sell your pens. Our tastes may not be your customer's tastes. Personally, I'll offer some of each to cover my bases.

Shock me

Sure, if you're selling pens, it matters not what I think is classy. I cringe while doing it, but I make plenty PSI Bling pens, usually for little girl's birthday party favors! I've turned many a Diva charm as well...

As for Navigator vs Jr vs Atrax, Navigator/Sedona/Baron are the same AFAIK. All have the hexagonal faceted front section which I personally don't care for, as I recall, it doesnt even prevent the unposted pen from rolling away. "Jr" might refer to a few different pens (Jr Gent, retro, Statesman)

No flame from me. I agree completely. I like the "Bling" that I put on the pen. Like custom finials, centerband accent rings, and segments.

I'm glad Bob didn't flame me, especially since I bought about 50 blanks from Slabs, Blanks and Boards right after I had posted...:)

Mortalis

I really like the Artisan Zen kit from Craft Supplies
$16 - $19
Super easy to turn. Assembly from either end even after turning and finishing.
Unique magnetic cap fits either end.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0032.jpg
    DSC_0032.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 109

Jim Burr

Banned
Have you searched the online (Berea, Beartoothwoods, PSI, Woodturnerscatalog, ect, ect) for anything? How about the vendors here? What did YOU find from looking at who has what? And please...the "I wanted to see what everyone else does" is so old. Come on...dozens of places to look for kits...buy one and check it out!!

Top Bottom