Rockler's Woodworker's pencil kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Stay away from their new Woodworker's pencil kit #24858. It is a very poorly designed kit.

First the instructions say the usual, cut a blank longer than the brass tube. Except there is no tube for this kit, brass or otherwise. (Confirmed at my local Rockler and on their website) Then if you drill a 10mm hole like they say, one bushing fits nice and snug in the tubeless blank while the other is sloppy so you get an out of round pen. Finally it says "place a thin bead of CA glue over the threaded part of the pencil transmission collar" (What's it threaded for if it doesn't screw into anything?) The only problem is the fit is too sloppy, CA won't hold it, (tacitly admitted in the instructions as they say wipe off any glue or EPOXY that squeezes out). What epoxy? The instructions didn't say anything about using epoxy.

This kit needs the threaded sleeve and a total rewrite of the instructions. The actual pencil mechanism seems well made but if you buy this kit you will have major modifications to get a decent pen.

redfishsc

Hmm....interesting. I have what appears to be the PSI clone sitting dormant for nearly a year that I got by accident--- I tried to order pencil lead refills and punched in the wrong code.

Then again, the pencil I have has tubes, so maybe they aren't the same. I hope not!

I use the Artist's sketch pencil from CSA at work on a daily basis. Fantastic pencil, and I've sold a good number of them as well. Customers love them.

Top Bottom