Rockler Slimline Issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gagler

As an accountant, I believe in statistics.

Now that I have that bs statement out of the way, are any of you having any issues with the Rockler slimline pens? They are on sale, so I picked up a dozen or so earlier this week to turn some for the Freedom Pens project (they are out of pens again, by the way - a function of declining participation but steady to increased demand). The first four, when applying the clip / cap are too loose and won't fit into the tube - and hence require a good dallop of thick CA.

I don't see how it could be operator error (e.g., me) as my skew would have no impact on increasing the size of the pen tube during the manufacturing process. I've already glued up the tubes for 6 more pens to do this weekend, but since I'm 3 for 3 so far I was curious if anyone else has the same issue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SherryD

I do not use 24K, nothing less than 10K and I use CS as my source and have not had any problems. I hear all the time that the 24k is hit and miss. Low price should not mean low quality though. The lower price should only reflect the lower cost of plating not a cheap mechanism. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth. I do not think it is operator error at all.

davinci27

I've had this with a couple of slimline kits as well. An the kits were from various sources. I think it's just a problem with the kits.

Ben

zig613

I have noticed this and several other quality control issues on the 24k gold slimlines made in China. However, since I switched over to the titanium gold slimlines made in Taiwan about a 1 year ago, I haven't had any such problems with the 50-60 kits that I have made. The titanium kits may cost twice as much but the plating is much more durable and the quality control of kits coming from Taiwan appear to be better… well worth the extra cost.

Brandon25

Not had that experience, but my local independent turning store, who gets stuff straight from China, has had issues 3 out of 4 times with the clip not fitting onto the cap. The hole in the clip is not large enough, so I have to kinda ream it out first. The ones I'm using are chrome.

andyk

Instead of using CA to glue these in place try using Lock-Tite. At least at a later point if it needs to be dis-assembled with Lock-Tite and a long reach pin punch it can be taken apart. Not the case using CA.

nava1uni

It could also be that you are tightening the nut on the mandrel too tight and the soft brass tube is being being opened slightly. When I started turning I found that the ends of the tubes can be splayed out and then the finial is loose in the tube end. It can also happen if using a wedge or tube holder to hold the tube when gluing. If it is pushed onto the tool it can open the end of the tube enlarging it slightly with the same result.

zig613

Pentex...

I buy my titanium slimeline kits from Woodturningz http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx. They sell their own line of pen kits and are also a reseller of Penn State (PS) kits. The titanium kits I buy are from PS. You have to call them directly to order these kits because they are not listed on their website. Their service is great and the prices are better then buying direct from PS.

George7

I think that Rockler has changed their pen kit source recently, at least the one in the Cleveland area did so not long before they went out of business. I used to see only Berea kits at Rockler, but I bought a bunch of slimlines when they were 50% of at the store closing sale. They were all Dayacom kits, both bags and refills had Dayacom printed on them. They have all been fine thus far.

I suspect that Rockler, or at least some stores, have started stocking some of the very cheap kits in an effort to be competitive pricewise.

bitshird

I just did 10 slimlines I bought from woodnwhimsies, gunmetal and chrome plating and no problems, and they are about as cheap of a place to buy from as any one I trey and not do ANY 24kt plated pens.

George7

I replied to this thread earlier, but just yesterday I encountered a number of loose fitting kits. I was at a "Turn for Troops" event a the nearest Woodcraft store. We were using "Cobalt Gold" slimlines from Woodcraft, and I had to use glue on almost every nib and finial. Berea Hardwoods is listed as a co-sponsor of the event, so I believe that these were Berea kits.

Top Bottom