Rockler round top problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwebb

I tried assembling a round top pen from my local Rockler store. It has a double twist mechanism. It was all going together nicely until putting it together. The top barrel stopped about 1/4" short of the bottom barrel. Upon careful investigating, it seems that the top of the twist mechanism is butting up against the bottom of the top cap. I followed the supplied directions to the letter. Any ideas what might have gone wrong, and how to avoid it in the future? I have two more of their kits to assemble.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I don't know about this kit, but, on the Elegant American, which also uses the double twist transmission, you have to press the transmission and top cap stud together first. Look at one of the other kits and see if the transmission will slide into the tube. They may left this step out of the directions.

Mikey

First, do you have the extra length on the top barrel so you can attach the tennon ring?

Second, do you have the twist mechanism pressed all the way in? When you put the refill in, will it twist out so that you can use the pen?

I've made quite a few of these round top euro pens and can't think how it could be 1/4" off unless one of the two above is screwed up.[?]

bwebb

Mikey, in answer to your questions...
1) Yes, there was about 1/4 - 3/8" of brass tubing to attach the center ring.
2) The twist mechanism seems to be at the correct depth. The pen point protrudes and extracts just fine.

I'm wondering how far the top cap should extend into the twist mechanism. Looking at one of my other kits, it looks like it just snugs into the top of the mechanism. I also double-checked the length of the top blank, and it was correct (according to the instructions).

Bob A

Brian, is the round top black? I bought some designer pens with the black top and had the same problem. I never did figure it out, just tossed it to the side and went back to the designers I had been turning. I have seen the same pens posted on here and they were put together correctly so I would imagine someone has the answer.

bwebb

Yes, Bob, the top is black. It looks like a Monte Blanc without the white star shape on top of the top cap.
I'm looking forward to an answer, because I'm stumped!

Mikey

I pulled out my instructions yesterday and looked them over. If we are talking about the same pen, (Rount top Euro which has an exposed brass tube which the tenon fits on) Then you need to put the tenon ring on BEFORE you install the twist mechanism. If you install the twist mechanism before the tenon ring, then you will push it in too far.

If the barrel length is still OK, and the brass tenon length is as it should be, this si about the only other psossible cause. Anything else and I would just take the kit back to Rockler and let them inspect the parts.

pete00

Brian
I had the same thing happen to me a while back. Until your note i just assumed it was my fault.
I did four or five of them and had that problem with two. Mabey its a bad run of kits.

I "fixed" my couple by grinding down the twist just a bit, and grinding down the tip of the top cap,
after i poped it out. Never felt comfortable selling these, so there part of my display.
pete

its_virgil

On these kits, the twist mechanism's top presses into the stinger on the finial to engage the mechanism. It is not a friction fit. Three problems are inherent with this kit. (1) During the parting off for the CB it is very likely possible that the tube is collapsed enough for the transmission to bind. (2) Pressing on the CB can collapse the tube end and not alow the transmission to pass through. (3) Glue in the tube will reduce the ID of the tube and not allow the transmission to pass through. It is necessary that the trransmission be able to pass through the top tube without any restriction...none at all...all thel way through. If it can't, then clean out any glue or open the tube's ID by using the appropriate size punch or drill bit. Don't remove any brass, just open it up a little. There is a drill bit that is just the correct size and letter D comes to mind...but check it out first. The problem is usually glue or the tuber just under the CB has collapsed just a little. Good luck and ...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom