Rockler Flat top Pen & Pencil Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimPilsner

Hello everyone!

I picked up a bunch of pen kits from someone selling them. A few of them were Rockler Flat top kits. The problem is, he didn't include the bushings. It looks like they're no longer available through Rockler.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get them or perhaps has some they would like to sell or loan me (I would pay shipping and compensate one way or another). Thank you in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Rockler likely bought its kits from the same manufacturers as other pen kit dealers. Take a look at PSI's, Craft Supplies', Berea's etc., and see if you can find one that matches your kits and then use those bushings.

Use your calipers to make sure the dimensions of the components are the same (usually found on the instruction sheets) and Bob's your uncle.

PSNCO

Do you have the pen kit instructions showing the finished dimensions of the pen? Does the kit use an 'O' drill bit? It may be very close to the plateau pen by them. I have a couple sets of those bushings.

KenV

The library is loaded with documentation on pen parts. The bad news is that there are lots of pens that are/have been made and sold. The good news is that Rockler renames pens purchased from suppliers and the same pen is likely still around with a different name.

The info is organized in some different formats. The earliest were in one file by size/type and the more recent versions are organized by vendor/source -- and it may take some digging around to find all/most of the flat top style pens.

It takes some careful measurements and a bit if reading to get one that is very close if not exactly the same.

The other good news is that developing some familiarity with the pen part tables will pay some dividends as you progress in pen making.

JimPilsner

Thanks for the replies fellas.

This pen kit does look just like that plateau style pen and uses the "o" size bit. The "Flat top pen kit" uses 2 different tubes for the upper section. It looks like you slide the skinny tube into the other as one of the last steps. That's 1 part that was perplexing me.

On the plateau pencil, are you supposed to have access to the eraser? Pulling the upper section makes the little rings come loose and it's quite cumbersome.

The good news is, with the 2 pencil kits he also included a 10 pack of the tubes so I'll have a little room to experiment.

Top Bottom