Robusto kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Armacielli

I have a robusto rollerbal kit here that I'd like to turn, and I have everything I need to do it the only problem is my complete lack of confidence and that when I look at the instructions ( http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B99.pdf ) I dont recognise some of the steps. mostly the second step under turning the blanks (ive never had to part anything off of a tube, so that step is kinda foreign to me)
this is my first venture outside of a slimline and I'd like to know what I'm doing before I start.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ESwindell

Christian,
As far as parting off the wood to the brass tube, if you have any blanks that have had blowouts or other imperfections you can practice on those. It is not as hard or as scary as it sounds and if you do it once or twice it should be really easy. Good luck.
God Bless,
Eric

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, you have to part that off to the tube. (This is NOT uncommon, MANY kits will require this to position the centerband).

Made ONE of those a few nights ago, my first. Save the time.

(Here comes the hoarde of "short-fat pen supporters", time to leave)

rlharding

For parting you need a very sharp tool. Parting tools are sold in a variety of thickness and the one I have is 1/8". Imagine a flat shape that is triangular and at the same time 1/8 thick. Turn it from its flat profile onto its side. It will look like a length of 1/8 Steel when you look down on it.

Place this on your tool rest, I place it just on pen centre, then move the parting tool 'in' so that one edge is a hair away from the bushing and the other is 1/8 away frm the edge of the bushing. Move it 'in' to the wood and holding it very steady keep moving it into the wood slowly. As you do this the wood will be coming off in shaves. When you see clear brass, or you start shaving brass, that's the time to stop.

I usually curl sandpaper and sand that brass very carefully if I still have glue on it. This has to be very clean because your centre band fits onto the 1/8 clean part.

I am sure there are other tools you can use instead of a parting tool.

Top Bottom