Robusto - El Grande Advise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

I'm finally finishing up my small supply of El Grandes. I had about ten kits. I'm about to try my hand at making some Robustos that I got on ebay awhile back. To be honest, I've about had my fill of turning the blanks for the El Grandes ... their thin walls are not fun. Am I going to run into the same problem with the Robustos? Are the Robusto walls going to be as much of a challenge as the El Grandes? Any advice will be appreciated.

Fangar

Al,

Unfortunately, you will notice a similar issue. Additionally, you will see that the centerband requires a tennon be cut on the cap blank down to the tube (To allow for the centerband to press over the bare tube. Be sure to get good glue coverage so that you don't blow the blank out when doing this. The other option would be to make the blank smaller, leaving the tube exposed to allow for this band. This option is a little more tricky as you will likely still have to face the blank on the lathe to get a nice flush joint / fit of the centerband. Not my favorite kit, but not too hard to make.

P.S. Did you get my email about the pin chucks?

Cheers,

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom