River Buffalo Horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

I turned this pen from River Buffalo Horn thinking it would make a nice companion to one I made from Alternate Ivory. Having read other posts concerning River buffalo horn I knew heat from drilling and turning was the enemy. I was careful and thought I had been successful. That was a few months ago.

Earlier this month it was one of several I placed in a gallery. I went to check on them yesterday and this is what I found ... (See photo)

NOT exactly what you want in a gallery representing your work!:redface:

The other pens had been handled ... they were no longer in the "grain matched" position I had left them in. That doesn't bother me but makes me wonder if someone dropped this one on the floor? Also, the building's heat fluctuates dramatically, getting turned way down at night and back up when they open.

What do you think caused this? I would like to avoid having the same trouble with the next one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Wow Lenny, not sure what caused it. I've got a cigar I made with 1/2 in River Buffalo horn about a year ago and it's still intact, even thought is stored in my garage which ranges from 50 in the winter to over 100 in the summer. I would really think mishandling might have been involved for that to have happened, but I'm by no means an expert with the material.

areaman

Lenny I feel your pain, I had the same thing happen. Months after turning the pen I got it out of the drawer to find a huge crack in it. BRS

Brooks803

I don't have any solution to your problem Lenny, but has anyone ever tried stabilizing horn/antler? I'm seeing gator jaw bone being stabilized so I'm curious if it would work on something like this and maybe help prevent those cracks.

tkbarron

I think I have one of those buffalo horn blanks on hand and will give it a shot in the stabilization chamber, though I'm not sure there will be much benefit. That stuff is incredibly dense.

Lenny, pm me an address and I'll send it to you.

Tom

Lenny

Yeah, it really is hard and dense! I can't imagine it would benefit from stabilization ... But that is not based on any knowledge of the process, because I have none, more on what I think happens.

Bigj51

I have stabilized it and had good results that way. You should notice that it really soaks up polish when not stabilized. It most certainly soaks up the stabilizing resin.

NotURMailman

I have a blank fo this material and a stainless steel pen kit I was going to use it for. I was thinking of trying to cut, drill, and turn the blank without tubes and then soak it in mineral oil before building the pen.

dankc908

I have a blank fo this material and a stainless steel pen kit I was going to use it for. I was thinking of trying to cut, drill, and turn the blank without tubes and then soak it in mineral oil before building the pen.

measure the tube hole after the mineral oil soak -- you might need to re-drill for the tube.

its_virgil

Every pen I have made from buffalo horn has cracked. There are too many other excellent materials to use to deal with materials that crack...except a nice piece if snakewood , of course. :)
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

NotURMailman

measure the tube hole after the mineral oil soak -- you might need to re-drill for the tube.

Thanks for the heads up!

I got this pen and blank to make for myself, so if it does end up cracking a little atleast it won't be in the hands of a customer.

Top Bottom