ring pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Below is an image I captured from an ad. It is of a 'ring pen' supposedly designed for people with arthritic hands. The concept might be a challenging project to be made from wood. I think a desk set type pen with a shortened resivoir would work for the pen part. Turning, shaping and drilling the rest is the challenge.

2005331163455_ring%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Cool! It's actually (relatively) easily done. It would take some CAD software (like Rhino that has a fully working trial version that can be downloaded, but saves only 25 times.) or could be modeled by hand in clay or something. The trick here is being able to define sections, maybe every 1/16" of an inch apart. All these sections get laid out side by side in a 2D drawing and sent to someone with a laser like Ken who cuts them out of a thin veneer of wood. The sections could even be numbered and have registration marks or a hole for a pin to line everything up. They could have the hole for the pen pre"drilled" too. They just get glued up layer by layer and hand finished.

Piece of cake, right!?

Rifleman1776

"Relatively easy" [?] Please, Mr. btboone, an explanation of the time/quantim/continum/final four pick/theory would be simpler. [:p]
We're just guys with some tools and scars on our fingers. But it is a challenge.

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
Hi
<b>WARNING</b>
I have the pen in my hands and have been asked by the PATENT HOLDERS to make one in olive wood - anybody even copying the pen will get severely stamped on!!! It is a large corporation called Grandee Corp.

Of course with my blessing anyone in Pen Org that is serious about having a go - then as long as it was directed through me it could be worth their while!!

They can use the CAD method but that is not what they want to do.

If any of you are really serious then please email me and I can give you the required brief - sizes etc

Regards

Mike
mik@mikpens.com

Ben

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />What will they think of next? Any idea what the red spot on the wrist is indicating?

I'm not sure but I think they want us to belive that the "hand model" is experiencing EXTREME PAIN due to their Arthritis, and the red dot must be where that pain originated. I'm sure that using THIS pen is goin to solve all of their problems! HAHA! What I wanted to know was, what is that Saturn Ring thingy of a line near his/her fingertips? LOL.

Ben

Ben

Originally posted by mik
<br />Hi
<b>WARNING</b>
I have the pen in my hands and have been asked by the PATENT HOLDERS to make one in olive wood - anybody even copying the pen will get severely stamped on!!! It is a large corporation called Grandee Corp.

Of course with my blessing anyone in Pen Org that is serious about having a go - then as long as it was directed through me it could be worth their while!!

They can use the CAD method but that is not what they want to do.

If any of you are really serious then please email me and I can give you the required brief - sizes etc

Regards

Mike
mik@mikpens.com

I have the patent on the charcoal pencil! I got the idea when I was camping! If anyone else tries to make a charcoal pencil w/o my permission they will have dirty fingertips too! LOL!

Ben

Fred in NC

The design is interesting.... whether it will be accepted by those who can benefit from it is another question. Sticking a finger in the hole might be difficult for an arthritic. Ah, and maybe there will have to be more than one size.

Also, it might be patented!

I think a 'baloon' pen, one with an inflated bottom barrel, will accomplish the same purpose. Easy to turn, more like what people are used to, and no problems with refills.

Just my 20 cents...

wayneis

Two things, forst of all I haven't seen anyone mention what seems the most difficult part to me and that is how to add strength to the relitivly weak sides. If you look at the sides of the finger there is not much material there. Now thats not much of a problem with metal but may be a challenge with wood, although not impossible.

Ben the second is that if you think some company coming after you with a patent infringment suit is funny, just try to duplicate that pen and sell one. I have a very good friend who works on cases just like that and there are many craftsman type people out there that thought that it wouldn't hurt to copy a patented item, until they were served, tried and convicted, then it wasn't so funny. I'm not trying to start a war, just trying to explain that patent infringment should not be taken lightly.

Wayne

btboone

To do those in production from wood, it would probably take a 4th axis CNC milling machine. I could do them, but they would take a good 20 minutes or so to cut, and the markup likely wouldn't be worth it to me for the huge effort needed to dial them in. It would indeed be a heck of a challenge to make them completely by hand. I imagine writing with one would take some getting used to. [:)]

JimGo

I agree with Wayne. I'm involved both on the patent prosecution (i.e. helping people get patents) and litigation sides of the coin (though the litigations I deal with are usually over much bigger issues than a one-off knock-off of a product). A "typical" patent litigation can easily cost each side $500,00, and many run in to the millions (just in legal fees). Its one of those few times where asking permission first is usually a good thing, even if the other side says no.

Thumbs

C'mon guys! Get, real! Most of us are still trying to work out the kinks in these round things. That thing looks like some of the mistakes that I throw in the can......

I didn't know they could be patented, too! What an idea! I could make money off all my mistakes! I'm gonna be a zillionaire!!! Move over, Gates, you pushy pauper!!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />C'mon guys! Get, real! Most of us are still trying to work out the kinks in these round things. That thing looks like some of the mistakes that I throw in the can......

I didn't know they could be patented, too! What an idea! I could make money off all my mistakes! I'm gonna be a zillionaire!!! Move over, Gates, you pushy pauper!!!!

Bob, I TOLD you not to inhale that mahogany dust! [:D]

wayneis

Bob all I'm trying to get accross is that it doesn't matter if its a five dollar pen or a Play Station 2. The result is not much fun. Has anyone heard of the verdict that just came down against Sony? The court ordered Sony to stop selling Play Station 2's, controllers and games and to fork over 90 million dollars to a tiny little company Sony repped off. That ninty million dollar verdict is three times more than the company takes in a year. Of course Sony is apealing and still selling their products, but they are trying to reach a settlement with that company. I can't remember that companies name, Jim probably knows but the point is that this shouldn't be taken lightly. Jim I bet that you would have liked to be in on that case, ha ha.

Wayne

JimGo

Wayne, I'd like to have been on that one, or the recent case against Research in Motion (RIM), the maker of Blackberries. They got nailed pretty bad too. There was a (stayed) injunction against the use or sale of Blackberries - both houses of Congress even took the rather extraordinary step of sending letters to the judge asking him to stay that injunction so they could continue to get their E-mails. Any way, RIM wound up coughing up some MAJOR money to the owner of the patent.

All of this, though, doesn't negate the fact that we're small-time compared to infringers like RIM and Sony. I certainly am NOT an advocate for willful infringement of any intellectual property right, be it patents (inventions and certain product designs), trademarks (logos, slogans, and certain product configurations), or copyrights (music, movies, manuscripts), but from a practical perspective, if one of us were to accidentally infringe, we'll most likely get a nasty letter telling us to stop, and maybe asking us to pay some damages (will have to be pretty nominal, given the low volume at which most of us produce our work). If, on the other hand, you are about to start the next Cross, Waterman, Mont Blanc, or other major distributor, that's another story! Either way, the courts have said that once someone knows about your infringement, they pretty much HAVE to write the nasty letter and follow through with some kind of settlement, otherwise their rights get diluted, and in most cases they've invested too much in securing their rights in the first place to allow that to happen, even on the small-time scale that most of us fall under.

Ben

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Two things, forst of all I haven't seen anyone mention what seems the most difficult part to me and that is how to add strength to the relitivly weak sides. If you look at the sides of the finger there is not much material there. Now thats not much of a problem with metal but may be a challenge with wood, although not impossible.

Ben the second is that if you think some company coming after you with a patent infringment suit is funny, just try to duplicate that pen and sell one. I have a very good friend who works on cases just like that and there are many craftsman type people out there that thought that it wouldn't hurt to copy a patented item, until they were served, tried and convicted, then it wasn't so funny. I'm not trying to start a war, just trying to explain that patent infringment should not be taken lightly.

Wayne

Wayne,

The only thing that I do know about copyrights is that the duplicate has to be at least changed by 15% or more to not infringe. The pens that they advertise are constructed of metal! The pens that the woodturners make are crafted of material usually other than said metal. I would think that as long as Mik@mikespens doesn't make them an exact duplicate out of wood for the "PATENT HOLDERS" to also obtain copyrights on , then any of "these kinds" of pens that this community turns out of wood, acrylic, plastic, corncob or otherwise will be 100% different from the originals. Not to mention that without the ezact specs, the design will ultimately be different slightly anyway. I thought that mockery was the ultimate in flattery? Maybe not always? Just my 2 cents.

Ben.

btboone

&gt;The pens that they advertise are constructed of metal!
I gotta believe they are injection molded plastic and metallized. Some of the Bic razors are done this way. It would make a lot more economic sense. Polishing real metal to that high of a polish is a real chore. Take my word for that. [;)]

It's interesting that the upper part of the pen above the finger is not functional. They probably put it there simply to make it look more like a pen.

JimGo

Ben, Actually, there is not magic change percentage after which a work will no longer infringe a copyright. Depending on the creativity of the original work, the courts will find infringement even with a fairly decent change (you're making what's called a derivative work). Changing from metal to wood probably won't be enough to get you around any copyright rights. The patent is a whole other ball of wax. You'd have to analyze the claims and prosecution history to see what is and isn't covered. However, most likely, changing from metal to wood won't be enough to get you around the patent, either.

Bruce, I think that part above the finger might also act as a counterbalance, making it write easier in an arthritic hand. My guess is that the pen basically stays close to the finger tip all the time (the part of the finger closest to the hand becomes a fulcrum) because of the extra weight, which means that the user can make writing movements from the wrist and forearm, rather than needing the fine motor coordination. They also don't have to use other fingers to hold it in place like you do a traditional pen. (again, just my guess...I guess I COULD go pull the patent!)

btboone

The part above the finger also helps the user to "aim" the pen where it should go. It would be just too weird looking without it.

wicook

I showed the ad to my wife (a nursing instructor) who said she's seen one similar to the ad Frank posted at the top of this topic. She said that the people who use them do, indeed, use their wrist to write, not their fingers. It apparently is very good for those with severely arthritic fingers. I hope and pray that I never have to find out!

Thumbs

Aside to William........

<b>I </b> never inhaled![:p]

I showed the ad to my wife (a nursing instructor) who said she's seen one similar to the ad Frank posted at the top of this topic. She said that the people who use them do, indeed, use their wrist to write, not their fingers. It apparently is very good for those with severely arthritic fingers. I hope and pray that I never have to find out!
[:(]

To this I greatly and appreciatively agree!!!!! The fun we're having doing this! We should all be thankful that we don't suffer that affliction........ at least not too badly!

mik

The Orchard, Milton Lane, Wookey Hole, Somerset, U
The picture is a metal model trial - old photo!
The pen is injection molded plastic.
The refill is very short.
The pen is currently disposable.
The top part is to aim the instrument.

My instruction from the patent holders is to construct in olive wood with a larger hole, for their upper end users.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom