Ring-cutting tool...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Found a book in local Woodcraft store when I was looking to make a toy for a friend..the toy is a baby rattle..it has a number of rings turned on it...looks pretty cool and might be fun to make...to finish cutting the rings though, it states to use a 'ring-cutting' tool.

I have never tried cutting rings before and don't have a clue what a ring-cutting tool should look like.

Anyone point me in the direction of a pic...?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

247-3073.jpg

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=247-3073

dougle40

Wow , 2 answers that quick . Surprising though that the same tool is much cheaper in Canada . The price on the one I sent you is in Canadian dollars . Works out to $32.50 US. If you're looking at Lee Valley's site , there's a special link at the top of the page to automatically switch to US dollars which makes it a lot easier .

daledut

Also available from woodcraft a little cheaper, and 3 sizes.

I made my own to make the rings on this pen.

20041225101649_daledut_photo2.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=1800&gift=False&mscssid=09376CEF9344743DD82296FF6A0A696A

20041225101353_web1800.jpg

goldentouch

I have made a couple out of old allen wrenches and one out of a broken 1/16 inch parting tool. If you look at the pictures about they are pretty easy to make out of old and broken tools.

dougle40

Dale,
The 3/8" one from Lee Valley is still cheaper but this is the first 1/4" one that I've seen . Thanks !
Goldentouch ,
Interesting but how do you make the radius on the end ??? What kind of tool do you use for this , maybe a Dremel Tool ???

goldentouch

I use an electric chainsaw sharpener to rough out the tool then a Dremel tool to define it a little more then went to a good old chainsaw file and some elbow greese to finish. Takes a little work but when you are sitting in the house watching the boob tube you need something to do. I do put down a paper to collect the filings. Plus you salvage a broken tool.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for...you guys are better than google...more like 'ask jeeves'..guess that would be ask the IAP..[:)]

I have a book authored by Dick Sing where he took an allen wrench and made a hollowing tool out of it...now this ring tool...guess i'm gonna have to just buy a bunch of allens..

Thanks again,
JohnPayton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom