Rikon and the PSI Variable Speed Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes - with some modification. This works well for those who can figure things out but if a person is used to following step by step instructions, it will be a little complicated. The wiring and switch mounting will have to be improvised but it works fine.

For the Rikon, you will have to use the original motor plate instead of the one that was sent with the VS kit. And you will have to drill new holes in the old plate for the VS motor.

There was a problem with the pulley alignment also. I did not use the pulley sent with the kit but instead used the originals. The original and the one with the kit does not have the hole all the way through. I had to drill the pulley out so that it would slide far enough on the shaft to align with the top. I could have that backwards as to which one I had to drill out, but drilling one all the way through is necessary to get them to align if you want to use the three pulley step setups.

This brings up another subject. This kit is designed to give VS across three pulley ranges - something like 600 - 1200, 900 - 1800, 1500 - 3000 or something like that. I keep mine in the lower range 99% of the time and really enjoy not having to change the belt so much. I do need the higher speeds at times but not having to change the belt as much is sure helpful. I would do it again. I am looking forward to getting the 1220 full VS from Jet in a couple of years when I go back to the States, but for now, I am enjoying the Rikon VS.

These are not problems for people with tool and machine shop experience but might be a little difficult if you are not used to "making mounting adjustments."

I bought the PSI VS motor back in March while in the States and airmailed it back, as I didn't want the airport to keep my baggage too long. The PSI motor has less power than the original Rikon motor, but since I do only pens, I haven't noticed the difference in power. I doubt that I would notice if I were turning bowls 6 inches or less either, but more than that, I might notice.

I am writing the modifications from memory as I did the change over in April. And April seems like it was last year to me now.

Last edited:

redfishsc

I don't recall what model Jet lathe I was looking at the other day at Woodcraft (it was a 12" swing, 3/4 hp with VS) but it was a VS with 5 (FIVE!?:eek:) belt positions, and they were very close ranges. Seemed to both me and the Woodcraft employee to be a waste of a rheostat.

DonWood

Rikon Lathe and PSI Variable Speed

Hi All:

Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate. Yep, I had called PSI and they didn't know whether it would work on a Rikon or not.

Thanks again for the great response on what must be done, greatly appreciated.

Randy_

I don't recall what model Jet lathe I was looking at the other day at Woodcraft (it was a 12" swing, 3/4 hp with VS) but it was a VS with 5 (FIVE!?:eek:) belt positions, and they were very close ranges. Seemed to both me and the Woodcraft employee to be a waste of a rheostat.

This comment cranked up my curiosity so I fired off a note to JET.

The lathe in question is the JET 1220VS and the speed ranges are as follows.

1220VS Spindle Speed Chart

.....Low Speed..........Middle Speed.......High Speed

1.....200/330...............500/760...............1100/1800

2.....270/450...............700/1000.............1500/2400

3.....340/560...............900/1300.............2000/3000

4.....410/680...............1000/1600...........2300/3600

5.....470/800...............1200/1800...........2700/4300

I kinda suspect the 5 positions are available so the turner can select the best combination of speed and torque for his particular project. Sort of like having a 5 speed transmission in a sports car rather than a 3 speed.

I did not ask that specific question the first time; but have sent a follow-up message so we will see what JET has to say on the subject in a day or two.

Now that I have been looking at this chart for a while, there is still something that doesn't quite make sense. Maybe someone with a 1220VS can help us out.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
1220VS Speed Label Chart

.....Low Speed..........Middle Speed.......High Speed

1.....200/330...............500/760...............1100/1800

2.....270/450...............700/1000.............1500/2400

3.....340/560...............900/1300.............2000/3000

4.....410/680...............1000/1600...........2300/3600

5.....470/800...............1200/1800...........2700/4300

Well Shoot! I was hoping for a "Continuous VS" lathe at an affordable price rather than a 'Continual' (stepped) VS.

Copied directly from Jet's web site:
"Continuously variable speed operation from 270-4200 RPM"

It BUGS me when "marketing" plays on words, changes words in a deceptive way such as this. Shame on you Jet!

Dictionary:
continuous |kənˈtinyoōəs|
adjective
1 forming an unbroken whole; without interruption : the whole performance is enacted in one continuous movement.
• forming a series with no exceptions or reversals : there are continuous advances in design and production.
• Mathematics (of a function) of which the graph is a smooth unbroken curve, i.e., one such that as the value of x approaches any given value a, the value of f(x) approaches that of f(a) as a limit.

CONTINUAL vs CONTINUOUS:
USAGE In precise usage, continual means 'frequent, repeating at intervals' and continuous means 'going on without pause or interruption':

For those that think this is nitpicking, then let me sell you a bill of goods based on "my" definition of bill of goods and not yours! At some point, there must be a standard in communication or what is the purpose. Lies, lies and more lies!

Rant off but emotions aren't!

Randy_

Copied directly from Jet's web site:
"Continuously variable speed operation from 270-4200 RPM"

Hank: I agree with you 100%. Maybe even 110%!!:biggrin: I can see the work of the damn lawyers at work here. Technically, what JET says is correct; but it is also "VERY" misleading. Notice that they don't say:

"Continuously "electronically" variable speed operation from 270-4200 RPM".

On another note, thought I would go back and take a closer look at the on-line manual for the 1220VS and see if I missed anything that might enlighten us. Well, I did miss something; but it certainly was not enlightening. It just reinforced my opinion that Jet makes pretty good tools; but their web site and other documentation leaves a lot to be desired.:mad::mad:

There was nothing of interest in the manual that I had not already discovered; but did discover a bombshell on the web site which says(despite Matt's earlier comment) the pulleys on the 1220 are actually 6 step pulleys!! If that little gem is correct, it means my earlier speculation is correct and the chart that was provided to me by their CS people is lacking.

Guess I will have to waste time on the phone tomorrow and see if the technical services people can help at all. Phone service from JET has always been very slow. Come to think of it, calling them may not be an option any more?? They used to have a phone number listed for their technical people on their web site; but as I recall, it was removed when they revamped their web site recently.:mad::mad:

Randy_

Got back with JET today and resolved the problem. The chart they sent me and was paraphrased in my earlier post was formatted a little peculiarly and caused me some confusion. I have reposted the information in a new thread in a form that should be less confusing. You can see it here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?p=457230#post457230

Secondly, it turns out the phone numbers for CS and technical services are still on the web site. With the revision of the JET web site, they have been moved to a location where they are more difficult to find.

And finally, phone service was relatively prompt this time around. I had to wait only a minute or two. I hope this indicates they are making an effort to improve this aspect of their operation which has been a big problem in the past.

Top Bottom