Rikon Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well I finally decided I was going to purchase the Rikon Lathe from Woodcraft today. Been waiting all week as this was my day off. Low and behold I drive 22 miles to Woodcraft and this store doesn't even stock Rikon Lathe's. They told me they were not up to their liking so they refuse to carry them. Talk about a bad day. Sorry for this rant guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Soooo, you didn't opt for the new Delta Midi or a wonderful Jet1014VSI ?

:confused:

I wonder what that says about the Rikon if Woodcraft won't touch them? Or perhaps they were trying to give you cause to buy one of the others.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well they didn't have a single Rikon product in the store. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the variable speed Delta Midi lathe. Just won't be able to get it till next week.

Mark

I think a lot of inventory has been reduced. I'm under the impression that Woodcraft has a minimum order they must meet for their supplier(s). I don't know the number but it must be significant.

I was told at my local woodcraft that they did not stock the specific JET lathe I wanted, but if I wanted to order it I was looking at three - five weeks. :frown:

Apparently JET is having a model end blowout, after which prices are to jump 10 - 15%. I'm guessing 3 - 5 weeks gives them time to collect new order minimums.

On Edge

Ernie,
I sent you a private message regarding a brand new, still in the box, Jet 1014 which I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price.

jnelson

Ernie,

I have been down that road with the same store you went to.

They are basing their opinion on a first generation Rikon product from a years ago. If I recall correctly, it was no even a lathe, but one of their other products. I talked with the store owner on one of my many trips to Louisville, and he has written off the entire Rikon company over one bad product.

Not sure that I agree with him, but he owns the store, so it is his call.

bgibb42

I think all of the stores must be franchises that can decide what they will and won't carry in stock. Even their website carries that lathe. Don't really know why they wouldn't carry Rikon--I have that lathe and it works great.

Goofy

strange story. I bought my Rikon from the local Woodcraft in Toledo, OH. Came highly recommended by them. First lathe and first turning I have done since Juner High School. Seems to suit my needs, the only thing is I wish it had electronic variable speed rather than fussing about with changing belts

Robert A.

Kinda strange that this was posted today.I just went TODAY and paid for one of the Rikons at the Woodcraft in Charlotte NC.They were out of stock but waiting on the truck.They will call me when it come's in.The guy I talked too said he would take the Rikon over the Jet.Even if they were the same price.

littlebuck

Rockler has the delta Midi lathe 46-460 on sale now for $509.00. I ordered me one yesterday.Should be here by the weekend.I bought mine from Craft Supplies USA. They matched Rocklers price.Hopefully it is a good lathe.
Donny

dntrost

Rockler has the delta Midi lathe 46-460 on sale now for $509.00. I ordered me one yesterday.Should be here by the weekend.I bought mine from Craft Supplies USA. They matched Rocklers price.Hopefully it is a good lathe.
Donny

CRAP and I just paid $599 last month for it from Rockler... Wonder if I can get a rebate...:mad:

traderdon55

Being independently owned all Woodcrafts are different. Two years ago I went to a Woodcraft store planning to buy a Jet and after talking to the people there they sold me on buying the Rikon instead. Two of the guys there owned a Rikon and I have been glad that that is the one I bought. If I was buying one now I probably would go with the Rikon again although I would look at the new Delta before I made my final decision.

jleiwig

It is dependent on the Woodcraft owners. The local Woodcraft here doesn't stock the Rikon because it doesn't sell as well as the JET, but can order them from corperate. The Woodcraft in Columbus keeps about 5 in stock at all times it seems.

I was going to pick up the Rikon, but when I went to buy my lathe, JET was having their big sale, so I got it for 20 or 35% off...can't remember which, but it made it cheaper than the Rikon at the time. Of course a month later the Rikon went on sale, and seems to be constantly on sale since.

RichB

I have had my Rikon for about 2 yrs. My two sons and myself use it for pens and it runs perfect for the price. For about 6 months now it has been running at least 2 to 3 days a week when we were getting ready for out first show. It is just the basic with no VS. We have no problem changing the belt because is very simple and easy to get at.

avbill

I several weeks ago talked to one of the VP at Rikon --THey have (now) a variable speed mini lathe. They also have coming out for the 70-100 lathe owners a variable speed kit so we can change the lathe to variable. Now that's progressive business practice ! My woodcraft store called on the kit and said by the end of the year.

dow

*1 on the Rikon.

Great lathe, and definitely worth the money (especially if you get it for a double discount over Father's day weekend, lol).

Get the Rikon.

Top Bottom