Rifle Case Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpens

Who has experience making pens from rifle cases? I have been contacted by someone who wants some pens made from them. I'll be happy to hook you up with him.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I could do that...pictures at http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor or here in my album.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodpens
<br />Who has experience making pens from rifle cases? I have been contacted by someone who wants some pens made from them. I'll be happy to hook you up with him.

jkirkb94

Don, would you go in some detail on how you make your pens using brass, please? [:)] I hope to make some myself once I get a reloading bench made and start reloading again. Kirk[8D]

its_virgil

Kirk and Gregory and others,
I am working on an article about the rifle casing pens. I'm about half finished. I have had numerous requests for help and instructions, so an article is in the works. I'll post it here as soon as it is finished.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jkirkb94
<br />Don, would you go in some detail on how you make your pens using brass, please? [:)] I hope to make some myself once I get a reloading bench made and start reloading again. Kirk[8D]

its_virgil

Rifleman,
Look in my penturners.org folder or my yahoo folder at
http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor to see some pens made with used rifle brass. Maybe you need to have a "rifleman" pen. Thney take a little work, but the results are worth it, at least for me.
do a good turn daily!
Don
quote]Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Ditto that request to see how pens are made from rifle brass. What do y'all mean by making pens from rifle cases?[?]
[/quote]

Rifleman1776

Sometimes I'm just a little too literal in my understanding of things. Do you mean by "rifle cases" brass shells (casings) for ammunition? I think of a rifle case as something you put a rifle into.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Rifleman,
http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor to see some pens made with used rifle brass. Maybe you need to have a "rifleman" pen. Thney take a little work, but the results are worth it, at least for me.
do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Ditto that request to see how pens are made from rifle brass. What do y'all mean by making pens from rifle cases?[?]
[/quote]

its_virgil

I didn't start the thread, but I assumed by rifle case pens the poster was referring to pens made from brass cartridges used in rifles which encase the powder and lead and hence the tern rifle case in which case the meaning was brass cartridge, but the other case would be what you thought a case is which encases the rifle itself which is an entirely different case alltogether. I guess this question is case sensitive. :) I hope my feeble attempt at humor isn't taken the wrong way. sometimes I just can't stop myself.
Do a good trurn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />
Sometimes I'm just a little too literal in my understanding of things. Do you mean by "rifle cases" brass shells (casings) for ammunition? I think of a rifle case as something you put a rifle into.

<br />Rifleman,
do a good turn daily!
Don
[/quote]

dougle40

<br />I didn't start the thread, but I assumed by rifle case pens the poster was referring to pens made from brass cartridges used in rifles which encase the powder and lead and hence the tern rifle case in which case the meaning was brass cartridge, but the other case would be what you thought a case is which encases the rifle itself which is an entirely different case alltogether. I guess this question is case sensitive. :) I hope my feeble attempt at humor isn't taken the wrong way. sometimes I just can't stop myself.
Do a good trurn daily!
Don

Man that all sounds like DOUBLE TALK ro me !![:D][:D][:eek:)]

woodpens

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Sometimes I'm just a little too literal in my understanding of things. Do you mean by "rifle cases" brass shells (casings) for ammunition? I think of a rifle case as something you put a rifle into.
I used the terminology that my customer used. I, too, think the brass shell would make a more practical pen than one made with something that could hold the rifle. [;)]

timdaleiden

Don,

This may sound like a stupid question, but when you use a bullet that has not been discharged, as you apparently have, how do you cut it apart without it going "<b>kabloooooeeey</b>" in your face?

I would like to make one of those, but I can just picture myself in the shop, using the bandsaw to part the brass, and ending up like Wiley Coyote in a Road Runner cartoon. You know, my hair and face all blackened, with a disappointed look on my face. [B)]

Tom McMillan

Wow, Tim---I sure hope Don's using "spent" casings without a live charge-----I need to make a few casing/antler pens for a friend---and he gave me some "spent" casings (already fired)----so, hopefully anyone doing this will use them instead of "live" casings. And, you're surely "wise" to be careful---don't want any problems!!

timdaleiden

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Wow, Tim---I sure hope Don's using "spent" casings without a live charge

Tom,

Take a look at his album here. Some still have the lead at the nib. They don't seem to have been discharged.

its_virgil

Tim,
I use empty brass (has already gone kablooooooeeeeey), drill out the primer, cut the brass in half (safely), drill the lead, press the lead bullet into place and continue. No humans or animals were injured in the making of this pen. And if I had shot the shell, no deer would have been harmed in the emptying of this shell.

Tom,
I am actually a mineral man. I have silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, and lead in my..well, lets just say I have lead elsewhere...I have the furniture disease...my chest has fallen into my drawers and I have just been diagnosed with Done-lap's disease....my belly has done lapped over my belt.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />Don,

This may sound like a stupid question, but when you use a bullet that has not been discharged, as you apparently have, how do you cut it apart without it going "<b>kabloooooeeey</b>" in your face?

I would like to make one of those, but I can just picture myself in the shop, using the bandsaw to part the brass, and ending up like Wiley Coyote in a Road Runner cartoon. You know, my hair and face all blackened, with a disappointed look on my face. [B)]

timdaleiden

<br />Tim,
I use empty brass (has already gone kablooooooeeeeey), drill out the primer, cut the brass in half (safely), drill the lead, press the lead bullet into place and continue.

Thanks for the info. I am glad it isn't one of those Hail Mary, try cutting a bowling ball with a table saw, barely escaping death pens. [:0]

J. Fred Muggs

"kablooooooeeeeey" !!!?? With six o's and five e's?? That's one sick sounding rifle cartridge going off! No wonder you can't hit the deer if the cartridge sounds like that. I'd try better ammo if I wuz you![:eek:)]
Tim: just don't tell us about tryin to cut a bowling ball on a table saw.
Have you guys been sniffing the CA glue again?[:eek:)]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by J. Fred Muggs
<br />Tim: just don't tell us about tryin to cut a bowling ball on a table saw.

Not me. Dale tried it once, and only once. [;)] Don took two to a shop to have them cut up with a big band saw, if I rememeber correctly.

its_virgil

Tim,
You remember corrrectly...made two pens...Alpha and Omega....If more bb pens are called for I'll call POC for the blanks. The bb pens are in my album, though.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />
Originally posted by J. Fred Muggs
<br />Tim: just don't tell us about tryin to cut a bowling ball on a table saw.

Not me. Dale tried it once, and only once. [;)] Don took two to a shop to have them cut up with a big band saw, if I rememeber correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom