Riddle Me This....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

Okay friends and gurus, I have a mystery I need solved.

I made a set of blanks a couple years ago. Still sitting here and now I have no idea what kit they go to.

These are the measurements: Top barrel/cap is 1.987" with an ISD of .5285 and the bottom barrel/body is 2.253" with an ISD of .403...

I have inputed these measurements in IAP app and met with negative results....anyone out there can help me identify the kit these belong to?

I know not the Gent or Stateman because bushings too big.

Also not the Gent II

Anyone? :eek::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I just measured a tube set for an Emperor:

Top: Length = 1.953"; ISD = 0.552"

Bot: Length = 2.265"; ISD = 0.435"

Full size Gent, Statesman, and Majestic would have same diameter tubes but slightly different lengths.

For example, Full size Gent:

Top tube length = 2.05"; Bottom tube length = 2.37"

Majestic would be:

Top tube length = 1.97"; Bottom tube length = 2.15"

That's as close to helping you as I can get. . I am taking the Gent and Majestic numbers from an old 2010 table that Wayne R. compiled. . I can email you a copy of that table (10 pages or so) if you think it might be useful to you.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Look at all the bushings you have and start there. If the bushings fit then you maybe able to narrow it down. I am sure you were not making a pen without the bushings unless you do between center turning with no bushings.

jttheclockman

I made a set of blanks a couple years ago. Still sitting here and now I have no idea what kit they go to.

These are the measurements: Top barrel/cap is 1.987" with an ISD of .5285 and the bottom barrel/body is 2.253" with an ISD of .403...

I have inputed these measurements in IAP app and met with negative results....anyone out there can help me identify the kit these belong to?

Also not the Gent II

My point here is why would you make a set of blanks for a kit you do not have bushings for??? That does not make sense. I know you make blanks to sell, were these for a client or yourself?? If a client maybe you have the order paper and on it is the kit name. If for yourself would you not have bought the kit with the bushings if you planned on turning for yourself?? Unless you had the bushings already and just bought extra tubes or kits. I have over 1000 kits and have bushings for everyone.

I am sure you store your bushings in some sort of reference order so start there and check all the bushings you have that are for a 2 piece kit. Again I maybe missing something and it makes no sense to have tubes and make blanks for a kit without the proper bushings unless it is for a client and then I can understand it. This is all I am saying. I do not believe there is any chart that gives inside tube dimensions.

Last edited:

More4dan

Also not the Gent II

My point here is why would you make a set of blanks for a kit you do not have bushings for??? That does not make sense. I know you make blanks to sell, were these for a client or yourself?? If a client maybe you have the order paper and on it is the kit name. If for yourself would you not have bought the kit with the bushings if you planned on turning for yourself?? Unless you had the bushings already and just bought extra tubes or kits. I have over 1000 kits and have bushings for everyone.

I am sure you store your bushings in some sort of reference order so start there and check all the bushings you have that are for a 2 piece kit. Again I maybe missing something and it makes no sense to have tubes and make blanks for a kit without the proper bushings unless it is for a client and then I can understand it. This is all I am saying. I do not believe there is any chart that gives inside tube dimensions.

The bushing dimensions in the chart will be very close to the tubing ID, slightly smaller than the tube.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

Maybe recheck the body tube ID. If it's .430 not .403 I have a couple matches. Lotus screw cap, Imperial screw cap (aka Bamboo). The tube length is closer to the Imperial (Bamboo) 1.90 cap and 1.97 body. The database showed body bushing ODs (tubing IDs) jumping from 0.389 to 0.427 with nothing in between.

I have an Excel version of the IAP bushing table. Let me know if I can help further.

Danny

Last edited:

More4dan

If I filter by lengths instead of IDs I get Emperor and Oriental Dragon with cap upper bushings OD of .547 in tube and body bushing 0.427 in tube portion. The tube ID would be about 0.005" bigger than the bushing.

jttheclockman

Also not the Gent II

The bushing dimensions in the chart will be very close to the tubing ID, slightly smaller than the tube.

Dan I understand that part but today there are so many kits that can have just a fraction of a mm off that dimension and it is a whole different kit.

If she looks at all the different kits she has ( I assume she has some sort of order) that is the best place to start than starting at a list that is huge. I again assume for every kit she own she has a set of bushings to go with them. The only factor not accounted for is if someone requested a certain set of blanks made for a kit she does not make herself and had to have them send her the tubes or she purchased them specifically for that purpose. That is where I would start. That list is daunting to say the least and continues to grow.

Maybe I am assuming too much and you know what they say about that.:)

I have been in the same position before and this is how I solved it. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom