Rhodium Plating on Jr. Gent Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Up until now I have been one that has never had CSUSA's plating pit or wear off. This is a picture of a pen that is a little over a year old, used by a woman and clipped to the inside of her pocketbook used daily. The plating has worn off and the copper is showing, as to the scratches that would be normal I would think being as the pen was being rubbed against keys, wallet with zipper and assorted other things that women have in their purse. My concern is with the plating wearing off. Hope the picture shows this. I will be contacting CSUSA later today and am confident that they will send me a new clip but if this is a problem that others have had we need to let them know, and also I can only hope that this is an exception and no other of my customers have had this happen and haven't contacted me.

IMG_1553-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Roy,
That's interesting. I thought that the Rhodium finish was the top of the line as far as durability was concerned. I'm sure that CSUSA willtake care of it. Everything else (pen finish, centerband, etc.) appears to have held up well.

OKLAHOMAN

Update, Just got off the phone with Roger at Craft Supply. While not admitting that there is a problem he did ask how old was the pen and when I received the kit from them. Could be that a specific run at the factory had a problem. Anyway they are sending me a new kit, not just the clip.

Russianwolf

while disappointing, I wouldn't call it unusual. The only part of the pen exposed would be the clip and the finial, and the clip is getting rubbed against whatever she has in her purse with every movement. It's going to wear through eventually unless it's solid metal (not plated).

Replacing it isn't a problem most likely, but she needs to be aware that it will happen again unless she a)finds a different place to carry the pen, or b) finds a way to protect it from the other contents of the purse.

Would this be considered abuse? Exposing the pen to that much hard contact?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Update, Just got off the phone with Roger at Craft Supply. While not admitting that there is a problem he did ask how old was the pen and when I received the kit from them. Could be that a specific run at the factory had a problem. Anyway they are sending me a new kit, not just the clip.
That's good to hear. I was going to suggest changing all the fittings as the new clip wasn't going to match the older plated parts. There are going to be bad runs in anything that is manufactured, the difference in quality is how the company handles the run fallout. I think CSUSA is doing the right thing on this one.

ngeb528

My mother was concerned about damaging the pen she carries in her purse so she pinned a velvet sleeve inside her purse and keeps her pen in it. The sleeve was a little long so she used her sewing maching to make it short enough so she doesn't have to dig down into the pouch to get the pen.

The euro I made for her several years ago still looks brand new.

OKLAHOMAN

Mike here I'm quoting directly from page 109 in their catalog
"wear resistance *****
"Possibly natures most brilliant and durable precious metal, rhodium is used by the worlds premier pen manufactures to plate their very finest pens. A member of the Platinum precious metals family, Rhodium sells for as much as $1200.00 an ounce and is unmatched in brilliance and durability. We guarantee the Rhodium plating on our Platinum series pens to last a lifetime or your money back."
I would think a year of use in a pocketbook would not be abuse and Rodger at CSUSA agreed that that would fall into normal use. I have told the customer that she would be safer to have the pen in a velvet sleeve. With the plating just worn off on the clip and the body of the pen in perfect as new condition and the rest of the plating in as new condition also I do think we might have had a plating problem. In testing some platings a few years ago I think it was Gerry Rhodes that used his buffing machine to try to rub off the plating and all he did was make it brighter. Also the body of the pen is also exposed to all the elements inside her purse as the pen is inside her purse clipped to a inside pocket.
while disappointing, I wouldn't call it unusual. The only part of the pen exposed would be the clip and the finial, and the clip is getting rubbed against whatever she has in her purse with every movement. It's going to wear through eventually unless it's solid metal (not plated).

Replacing it isn't a problem most likely, but she needs to be aware that it will happen again unless she a)finds a different place to carry the pen, or b) finds a way to protect it from the other contents of the purse.

Would this be considered abuse? Exposing the pen to that much hard contact?

Russianwolf

Also the body of the pen is also exposed to all the elements inside her purse as the pen is inside her purse clipped to a inside pocket.

I was picturing it as inside the pocket with the clip being exposed, similar to how I clip one in my shirt pocket at times. All you can see is the clip and finial.

If she's clipping it so the body is outside the pocket, I'm stumped as to how it would happen.

Top Bottom