Rhino Ultra Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I just saw an ad for this stuff in a new magazine and was wondering if anyone has tried it? Apparently, it is a polyurethane glue with a relatively short set time. The manufacturer claims the initial set time (clamp time) is 40 minutes; but this can be reduced to 20 minutes by dampening the mating surfaces. The cure time for max. strength is 8 hours.

They also indicate that the glue is quite thick so it doesn't have the tendency to run all over the place like thinner glues. I did not see any comments about bubbling and expanding; but I think it does.....at least a little.....because there was a comment that clamping should be tight to keep the glue line thin. And that wide glue lines where the glue had expanded into a wider joint were more porous and not as strong as a thin glue line.

(Makes me wonder about using polyurethane glue when there is a sloppy fit between a pen tube and a blank.)

RHINO ULTRA GLUE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

I saw the video on the link on your post. If you look carefully you will see that they have quite a bit of foam out of the glue. More than the "leading competitor".

redfishsc

I am just not a fan of urethane glues for the most part, as far as penturning goes. In my experience it doesn't hold as strong as epoxy for tubes, foams too much and cures too slow for gluing parts together, and is much more expensive the Titebond III, which is just as strong as a wood glue, just as waterproof, and does not foam.

There are a few brands of hot-melt urethane glues that I have not tried yet for pen glue-ups (do a google on "PUR glue") b/c the glue gun cost is more than I'm willing to dump. A lot of guys that run trim in new houses/remodels use the PUR glue and love it for it's strength and speed.

LanceD

Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />I'll give it a try after my botle of gorilla runs out. It would be nice to be able to turn a pen the same day as I glue it. we'll see.

If you start using 5 minute epoxy you could turn a pen within 30 minutes or less.

gerryr

I use either Sumo Glue, polyurethane, or epoxy, depending on how many tubes I'm gluing up. If I'm only doing 2-3 pens, I use Sumo. Sumo doesn't foam even half as much as Gorilla Glue and it also cures a lot faster, like a few hours instead of 24. I have never had a glue joint failure with Sumo, but have had them on occasion with epoxy.

opfoto

Everyone,
Not to hijack the thread

I just used Sumo last night. I glued the tubes in for 5 pens, then about an hour later I used the pen mill on them all. No failures so far. I did rough the tubes a bit by hand with 80g sandpaper. Will report later after turning them.

IPD_Mrs

I have been using the white quick cure gorilla glue for some time now. I have not had one failure, no tube movement, and in some cases I have turned the tube in 45 minutes. I personally prefer the foaming glue. The more that foams out tells me that it has glue everywhere. I ruff the tubes with 400 grit. I had thought about 220 but I do not want to change the OD of the tube.

The most important part of using this type of glue no matter what the brand, is using dental wax from AS to plug the tube ends first.

If you are in a position to prep several blanks at once, it seems to work best. We may decide that the next 10 pens we turn are going to be Jr.s from CSUSA. We will pick out our blanks, mark the blanks to use the best grain, cut the blanks, drill all the cap sides, drill all the nib sides, use dental wax on all tubes, ruff sand tubes with 400 grit, glue tubes and place on wax paper. Once they are try and not gooey we will rubber band the pairs. After they have sat for 45 minutes you can turn them, we have done it and have not had a proble, however we prefer to let them set overnight. At this point I have 10 sets of Jr.s ready to turn whenever I want or have the time. Once we finish a blank set we can then decide which kit, which finish, and RB or FP.

Mike & Linda

Russianwolf

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />
Originally posted by Russianwolf
<br />I'll give it a try after my botle of gorilla runs out. It would be nice to be able to turn a pen the same day as I glue it. we'll see.

If you start using 5 minute epoxy you could turn a pen within 30 minutes or less.
yeah, but I don't like mixing.

jskeen

if you don't want to special order dental wax to plug tubes with, just go to any pharmacy and look for wax earplugs for kids for swimming. Same stuff, but it's usually bright orange, easier to see if any left in the tubes, ect.

drawknife

I use the Elmers urethane glue when I have a sloppy fit between blank and tube. It centers the tube and I haven't lost any yet when I let it set up at least 4 hours.
As far as pluggin the tube goes, if I understand what the comments meant I use Play-doh,,, borrowed some from the granddaughter and been using it ever since. Flatten it out about 1/8 thick and let the tube cut holes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom