Rheostat & non VS lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I know this has been asked over and over but can a foot pedal rheostat be used on a lathe. For example...leave the belt on the highest speed and control the rpm's with a foot control.
I want to buy a small compact lathe but none have VS.... I would simply use a foot control. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Keeping an eye on the replies to this !!

I think the answer may depend on the type of motor in the lathe.

JimB

This would be like a sewing machine. I don't know anything about the electronics of it working but from a practical point I think this would be uncomfortable if standing and very hard to maintain a consistent rpm as you shift your body. If you are sitting at the lathe it would probably work better.

WriteON

This would be like a sewing machine. I don't know anything about the electronics of it working but from a practical point I think this would be uncomfortable if standing and very hard to maintain a consistent rpm as you shift your body. If you are sitting at the lathe it would probably work better.

I understand sitting vs standing. I'm hanging on to what you said. I think I would be ok...and yes to keeping to a constant speed would be a challenge but manageable. I'm willing to buy it and try it unless it won't match up electronically.

More4dan

I believe an AC motor varies the speed by varying the frequency of the power from the standard 50/60 HZ. It will maintain most of its power throughout the RPM range. It also requires a 3 phase AC motor.

DC motors can be adjusted with a Rheostat varying the voltage. But you loose power at lower RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

I think have done this with my Rikon using a foot pedal. I called Rikon and then said it will work. I accidently bought the wrong type of footswitch. I am only using the Rikon for my buffing wheels. It's not a EVS, so I thought I would try it and it worked. Remember the following though:

I only use for buffing so maintaining a constant speed for turning is not important
I am not worried about voiding the warranty. Rikon didn't say I would, but I would be honest with them if something happened to lathe.
My knowledge of electricity is limited to knowing how to plug in my lathe.
I did know to buy a switch that had a greater (or equal to) amperage capacity than the tool, but only because someone told me.

I wouldn't recommend this because I am not sure if it's 100% ok.

I did find a great place that sells American made plug-in footswitches. They are located in Ohio.

Much success!

WriteON

I think have done this with my Rikon using a foot pedal. I called Rikon and then said it will work. I accidently bought the wrong type of footswitch. I am only using the Rikon for my buffing wheels. It's not a EVS, so I thought I would try it and it worked. Remember the following though:

I only use for buffing so maintaining a constant speed for turning is not important
I am not worried about voiding the warranty. Rikon didn't say I would, but I would be honest with them if something happened to lathe.
My knowledge of electricity is limited to knowing how to plug in my lathe.
I did know to buy a switch that had a greater (or equal to) amperage capacity than the tool, but only because someone told me.

I wouldn't recommend this because I am not sure if it's 100% ok.

I did find a great place that sells American made plug-in footswitches. They are located in Ohio.

Much success!
How do like the Rikon...talk me into it. For a replacement I'm looking at Jet1015, PSI 10in. or maybe a Nova. Have made no decisions...just waiting for the 10-15% discounts to show up and I'm buying something.

Sprung

AC Induction motors are not meant to be run on a variable speed controller. Doing so can cause damage to the motor and certainly can/will decrease the life span. (I had a friend who did extensive research into this topic a couple years ago with hopes of doing the same thing to his lathe - after all of his research he decided it wasn't worth trying and risking the motor on his lathe.)

If you really want variable speed, you can get a small lathe that is VS. You mentioned the Jet 1015 as an option that you're considering. Make it easy on yourself. They do make a Jet 1015VS and that is the route I would go if I was looking for a small lathe and wanted VS capabilities. (I have a Jet 1221VS and I am extremely pleased with it.)

Wildman

In his video Del Stubbs demonstrates his foot control on an old reeves drive lathe but doubt can do same using a rheostat on today's non EVS lathe for reasons already stated.

Before NOVA DVR lathes folks were modiifying their NOVA 3000 to EVS with motor, inverters, & controllers from various surplus suppliers.

For time and money it would cost today to do all that better off buying a lathe with electroninc variable speed!

monophoto

Speaking as an electrical engineer - you may be able to vary the speed of an AC motor in a very narrow range around rated speed (maybe 5-10%), but if you try to go beyond that, the motor will overheat. Hopefully, the motor will have internal thermal protection - otherwise, the life expectancy will be reduced.

Speaking as a guy with an undersized motor on his table saw, if the motor speed is reduced too much, it will overheat and the internal thermal protective gadget (the button at the end of the motor) will pop and the motor will stop. Then, I have to wait for the motor to cool down, reset that thermal device, and try again. If that happened on my lathe, it would drive me crazy.

WriteON

In his video Del Stubbs demonstrates his foot control on an old reeves drive lathe but doubt can do same using a rheostat on today's non EVS lathe for reasons already stated.

Before NOVA DVR lathes folks were modiifying their NOVA 3000 to EVS with motor, inverters, & controllers from various surplus suppliers.

For time and money it would cost today to do all that better off buying a lathe with electroninc variable speed!

If your heart is set on modifying a lathe look for info on using treadmill motor & hard wear.

if the motor speed is reduced too much, it will overheat and the internal thermal protective gadget (the button at the end of the motor) will pop and the motor will stop.
My reasoning/curiosity... I have a few rheostats...one being from a Taig pool cue lathe. If it were as simply as plug&play I would buy a non VS lathe and use the foot control. I will take everyones advice here and fold... I'm not looking to experiment and possible damage a motor.
Thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated.

WriteON

If you really want variable speed, you can get a small lathe that is VS. You mentioned the Jet 1015 as an option that you're considering. Make it easy on yourself. They do make a Jet 1015VS and that is the route I would go if I was looking for a small lathe and wanted VS capabilities. (I have a Jet 1221VS and I am extremely pleased with it.)
I have a 1015&1221 both with VS at a different residence. Looking for a lathe for the 2nd house.
I would order the 1015VS today...but that 15% off on Black Friday is calling me.... However want a lathe this week. I need to flip a coin. A lot of nice lathes to choose from.

TonyL

How do like the Rikon...talk me into it. For a replacement I'm looking at
Jet1015, PSI 10in. or maybe a Nova. Have made no decisions...just waiting for
the 10-15% discounts to show up and I'm buying something.

I have:
Rikon 70 -105 (for buffing wheels)
Jet 1015VS (for barrel trimming)
2 Jet 1221VSs w/ reverse (one for turning and one for drilling blanks when I don't use a drill press)
HF, smallest one they make for applying CA

They can all make pens - which is all that I turn - , but I don't like (too lazy) to change chucks.

I have found the quality and customer service of Rikon and Jet to be excellent. The only thing that I don't like about the Rikon models is the pulley/belt ranges. My Jet's (all VS) allow me to sand, drill, turn, polish, apply finish without changing belts.

I like Rikon and have asked them to change one of the pulley diameters so that it can complete with Jet with respect to that feature.

If I had to own one lathe (and remember, I only turn pens), I would buy the 1221VS with reverse. However, if Rikon had the same pulley/belt ranges as Jet, I would buy Rikon because they are a little less costly and I like the paint job better (just being honest). I like the 1015VS for turning, BUT, I learned on the 1 HP 1221. After getting used to the 1HP, I just enjoy turning more on it. However, the 1015 turns just fine.

I had a fellow local chapter member come by who owned the small HF and she wanted a "lesson". We used what she owned (same small HF that I own for finishing) and her pen came out just fine. We used a mandrel (because she does), but only turned one barrel at a time.

I (and this is just me and I just turn pens - I am intentionally repeating myself because I don't experience what many other and more practiced turners experience, so my appraisal is limited to lathes and penturning) narrow it down to quality, VS and reverse, belt change ranges, and HP.

I hope you find this helpful and honest. Enjoy the hunt!

I only buy any of them when they offer 15% off.

Last edited:

Wildman

There are numerous articles on line about converting old lathes to EVS using tread mill motors and think couple You Tube viedos kind of a new trend in lathe modifications. No real experiment just finding compoents to fit your budget and lathe.

Since little over my head prefer to recommend buying lathe with EVS and skip the hazzle.

Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

If I wanted a new lathe I wouldn't bother with waiting for a sale. I have the Jet 10114 that I converted to VS with the VS motor that Penn State offers. I would not be without a VS lathe anymore. I also have the smallest HF lathe, which is VS, that my wife sometimes uses. I usually work on 2 pens at a time since I seem to get a lot more done with 2 lathes available. My lathe time is limited at a time by my bad back and carpel tunnel so I can't work on them for very long at a time. I find it is easier and faster for me to have both lathes with pens on them.
Like I said, I would recommend a Jet 1014VS because it does everything I want it to do. I do not have any experience with the Jet 1221VS so I cannot compare it to what I would recommend like others have done. (I see after searching that Jet 1015s are now for sale. I guess my 1014 is an older model. But I would still recommend whichever is now available).
Tim.

Last edited:

WriteON

If I wanted a new lathe I wouldn't bother with waiting for a sale. I have the Jet 10114 that I converted to VS with the VS motor that Penn State offers. I would not be without a VS lathe anymore. I also have the smallest HF lathe, which is VS, that my wife sometimes uses. I usually work on 2 pens at a time since I seem to get a lot more done with 2 lathes available. My lathe time is limited at a time by my bad back and carpel tunnel so I can't work on them for very long at a time. I find it is easier and faster for me to have both lathes with pens on them.
Like I said, I would recommend a Jet 1014VS because it does everything I want it to do. I do not have any experience with the Jet 1221VS so I cannot compare it to what I would recommend like others have done. (I see after searching that Jet 1015s are now for sale. I guess my 1014 is an older model. But I would still recommend whichever is now available).
Tim.

I'd jump on a 1014....but they're long gone. There are a few Rikon non VS I'm interested in...would use it a secondary or 3rd lathe. I'd add the PSI kit. How was the kit to work with?.
The 1015VS is a great lathe...and on sale it's greater. Less 15% is substantial.
Welcome to the bad back-bad,bad hands club. I live there.

Tim'sTurnings

I have anxiety issues and I find it difficult to wait if I really want something. That's why I mentioned not waiting for the sale.
The PSI VS motor kit needed some reaming out of the mounting holes in order to fit correctly on my 1014. It only took a few minutes and now I would not be without a VS lathe. It works great and I have not had any issues with it, I have had it for 3-4 years. Again, good luck.
Tim.

WriteON

I have anxiety issues and I find it difficult to wait if I really want something. That's why I mentioned not waiting for the sale.
The PSI VS motor kit needed some reaming out of the mounting holes in order to fit correctly on my 1014. It only took a few minutes and now I would not be without a VS lathe. It works great and I have not had any issues with it, I have had it for 3-4 years. Again, good luck.
Tim.

Thanks again for posting about the VS kit. And I commend you for buying what you want when you want it. Money spent on a hobby is a great deal. Good fun is hard to find.

Woodchipper

I have a Rikon 70-050 with VS. It had been replaced when I bought it. I also have a BS and low speed grinder for sharpening tools. Had a small problem with the grinder. One wheel had the hole drilled at an angle- they replaced it.

Top Bottom