Revolver cartridge sticks out pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Davidh14

I just made 4 of the revolver pens from woodcraft. 3 out the 4, the cartridge sticks out just a hair but far enough that it will still write when the cartridge is retracted. Has anyone had any similar issues or have suggestions? I was thinking about trying to sand the inside end of the cartridge down enough to pull it back in. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

When that's happened to me on other styles, it was because I'd over-milled one or both ends while squaring them up.

Yes, shaving a wee bit at a time off the non-writing end of the refill will solve the problem...until the new owner buys another refill. So, you might want to let them know up front.

I've fixed them on keeper-pens by just touching the non-writing end to a spinning disc/belt sander. Makes very quick work of the problem...very light touch on the sander so the plastic doesn't get melty and re-touch after testing because it usually doesn't take much to solve the problem.

randyrls

I have had this happen to the Faith, Hope, & Love pen from PSI. It can help to use the brass tube to check the length before starting on the blank. Then you can leave the blank just a bit longer than the brass tube.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I just made 4 of the revolver pens from woodcraft. 3 out the 4, the cartridge sticks out just a hair but far enough that it will still write when the cartridge is retracted. Has anyone had any similar issues or have suggestions? I was thinking about trying to sand the inside end of the cartridge down enough to pull it back in. Thanks!
I've never seen one of these kits. Does it have a transmission like the other kits where you press them into the barrel up to a certain point? If so, you may be pressing them in too far. Enough to cause the refill to be visible even when fully retracted. Just a thought.

Dale Allen

Are you good at making really thin parts?
Have any spare decorative rings from pen kits?
You could put a spacer or washer here and take up a small bit of the length.
I doubt it would detract from the look.
Although this end piece comes off, it is not needed since the mini refill is changed by unscrewing the pen in the middle.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 131

magpens

Interesting component set, haven't seen it before.

This kit is new to me also. . Kinda "cute". . I wonder why they designed it to use a mini refill. . Would have been better with a full-length refill, IMHO.

Top Bottom