Review of the new metal coupler, El Grande/Churchill (Berea)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

OK, the kits showed up the other day on my doorstep from beartoothwoods.com

So I made (for my greedy self) one of each in my favorites: black Ti and gold Ti.

The kits, right now, include BOTH the plastic and metal coupler. However, the metal coupler is extremely light, and adds absolutely no discernible weight to the pen, so it's practically as light as the plastic one and much stronger.

The thread action still has that "locking" feel to it that we love.

There is only ONE difference you will see: the threads are obviously plated to match the kit style instead of being black.

Those of you who make Churchills will now scratch your head and wonder if you should put that tiny accent trim ring on. If you do, nobody will notice it since it blends right in with the threads (rather than contrast with the older style black plastic threads).

BUT! You will notice that I just put the trim gold trim ring from the Churchill onto the El Grande (black Ti), so that it matches perfectly the nib and contrasts with the black Ti. Works like a charm.

I'm quite happy with these kits. Thanks Berea!

The Churchill is dogwood, the El Grande is green stabilized black ash burl.

churchill_dogwood.jpg

The trim ring doesn't show up well in my lousy photos, but you can still see it's there. Makes a great accent on the black ti.
green_blackashburl_EG2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Thanks for the quick review.:good:
I am sure this will be an improvement that many have been waiting for.

I assume that the metal threads still feel just as smooth since the cap insert is still delrin?

redfishsc

Kirk, yes the threaded insert for the cap is still delrin.

However, the cap threads on about 90% as smooth as the previous plastic-on-plastic design. You can feel a slight difference, I have one of each here in my hand right now and as I twist them, you can tell by feel alone which ones have the metal coupler.

That being said, it's certainly not something that bothers me. It's nothing I'd even start to compare to the scratchy metal-on-metal threads of some of the smaller ballpoints like the American and Designer types.

jeffj13

Thanks for the review.

Maybe I missed this info in another thread, but is anyone selling just the metal nib holder? I have a bunch of Churchill kits that I have been holding waiting for this issue to be resolved.

jeff

redfishsc

Thanks for the review.

Maybe I missed this info in another thread, but is anyone selling just the metal nib holder? I have a bunch of Churchill kits that I have been holding waiting for this issue to be resolved.

jeff

I don't know, but you should contact Berea directly and see what they have to say.

I have two pens that broke on me that I'd like to fix with a metal coupler, so if they start selling them I may buy a few of them.

redfishsc

Guys, I am digging this thread up after using the pens above for a solid year. Since I tend to gripe more than praise, I thought I'd offer this change of pace.

They are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. Two big thumbs up to Berea for fixing this problem. These are my favorite writing pens.

Both of the pens get used fairly regularly. The green EG gets used for taking notes in class (9 hours a week!).

The dogwood Churchill gets used grading Greek and New Testament exams for the professor I assist.

The metal nib couplers hold up well. Not a single problem.

The platings (Ti gold and Black Ti) have held up VERY well. The Ti gold churchill shows more scratches but nothing unusual after a year of steady use.

The finish I use, conversion varnish, only gets slicker and glossier as it's used. I can honestly say that the finish now feels even nicer than it did when it was first made. No obvious scratches, which is amazing considering how hard I tend to be.

Not sure how much this is worth to other folks, but it's certainly good news for me.

zig613

Thanks for the review.

jeff

I believe Ernie at BearWoods sells the Churchill metal coupler as a separate item.

Wade

Top Bottom