Reverse Painting Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I am sure these have been answered many times before. So, please forgive a repeat.

1. In your experience, what is the best paint to use for reverse painting blanks?

2. When reverse painting blanks, do you need to drill the holes larger to accommodate for the paint? If so, how much larger?

Thank you. I am looking forward to your answers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I usually use acrylic craft paint (from Michael's or Hobby Lobby).

I paint it on pretty thin.

I have not had to drill the holes any larger.

Just be careful when you glue in the tubes. Make sure there aren't any burrs on the tubes that will scratch up the paint.

Also - I let mine dry for a day before glue in the tubes.

KenV

Depends on the effect desired.

There are some neat effects that can be gained with different paints of different transparency. Multiple colors and streaks can be effective, and painting the inside of the blank and the tube with different paints can broaden the effects.

High opacity (non translucent or transparent) is most important on the tube - unless you want the hint of brass for effect.

I use some of the airbrush paints to get color effects inside. Fingernail polish can also be used for color effects - but sometimes does not play well with CA

I tend to use clear epoxy to glue in these situations and sometimes dye tint the glue.

Strongly amber epoxy works with dark colors.

BSea

I've used spray paint, acrylic paint, and testors. They all work as long as you are patient enough to let the paint completely dry. Dry to the touch is not dry. I'll place the blanks in front of a fan & let them dry for at least 6 or 7 hours. It's just as important to sand out any drill marks on the inside of the blank. Sometimes the paint will hide them, sometimes not. But sanding them will prevent them from showing. You don't have to have a mirror finish, just a good smooth interior free of obvious ridges. The clearer the blank, the more important it becomes.

And I always tint my epoxy. But just a touch of paint (a touch is less than a drop). Too much, and the glue may not hold.

Good responses above on the paint issue.

Concerning the hole - no, not necessary to drill larger, but I test fit before I paint and sand the blank if necessary. To sand, I wrap 220 around a dowel or a transfer punch and go at it till the tube slides freely.

RSidetrack

I paint both the hole and the tube. I use spray paint, typically Rustoleum, seems to work pretty well. I also sand the tubes with an aggressive sand paper (80 grit) and then paint them as well with two coats. I let them dry for at least 24 hours, my preferred dry time is 3 days before gluing as the CA can rip off the paint pretty quick. Then, simply glue the tube as you would any other time and slide in as you would any other tube, try not to back out at all for any reason. Let dry for another day or two and clean up and turn.

Top Bottom