Reverse painting hot pink acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bean_Counter

I have a special order for a hot pink cigar pen and was wondering about reverse painting. The blank is acrylic acetate and I want the hot pink of the blank to still be a hot pink. Has anyone did this and what color did you use? I typically use black but I think it will change the color a lot.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I'd paint a stick with white and silver... see which one gives you the best look. Also consider a nickel-plated tube rather than the typical painted brass. The brightness of the nickel will likely be better than silver paint.

EDIT: Removed gold from my list as it's kinda pointless when compared to brass tubes.

Brooks803

With colors like this I'll do a couple coats of pink and then 1 coat of black. The pink paint won't be opaque enough so that's why I use the black. Here is an example:

DSC03048561x700_zpsdbf77685.jpg

Same process but I used purple.

PaulDoug

Brooks803, I do not understand. You paint over the pink with black? I don't understand why the pink, if it is covered? In case of scratches?

KenV

I am not Brooks -- but use the same techniques for effects. The key concepts are opacity and reflectance. If the pink is translucent and light gets through, the brass tube provides reflection through the pink. The black or other opaque paint prevents any light from reflecting off the tube and being seen.

Why paint the layers in the tube?? Because it blocks light from reflecting from the bubbles and streaks in the glue and best controls the light reflecting back and seen by the eye. Some color epoxy with paint to accomplish a similar outcome.

Layering paint and leaving streaks of different colors can create some dramatic color variation in translucent acrylic blanks and is worth experimentation - and the surprise of discoveries. Nails polishes are good for "streaking colors".

Bright crimson paint on the inside of a pink acrylic can make it "hot pink" shaded towards red streaks. Lots of choices

Brooks803

Paul, one thing to remember is that with reverse painting the 1st color you use is the one that's seen. So by using pink paint first that's what color will show through the blanks. Ken pretty much nailed the explanation with the black being used to stop light from penetrating to the brass. Hope that helps clear things up.

Brooks803, I do not understand. You paint over the pink with black? I don't understand why the pink, if it is covered? In case of scratches?

I am not Brooks -- but use the same techniques for effects. The key concepts are opacity and reflectance. If the pink is translucent and light gets through, the brass tube provides reflection through the pink. The black or other opaque paint prevents any light from reflecting off the tube and being seen.

Why paint the layers in the tube?? Because it blocks light from reflecting from the bubbles and streaks in the glue and best controls the light reflecting back and seen by the eye. Some color epoxy with paint to accomplish a similar outcome.

Layering paint and leaving streaks of different colors can create some dramatic color variation in translucent acrylic blanks and is worth experimentation - and the surprise of discoveries. Nails polishes are good for "streaking colors".

Bright crimson paint on the inside of a pink acrylic can make it "hot pink" shaded towards red streaks. Lots of choices

Top Bottom