Reverse painting blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Smith

I am curious how others choose what color to paint the inside of the blank. Is there a rule of thumb? Or just pick and hope it comes out all right?

Thank you,

John Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

John,

I use enamel paints from my local hobby shop. I typically try to match the dominant blank color or try to get close. On some, I'll paint the inside of the blank in a lighter color or a metallic color (gold, silver or copper) to try to help "pop" a color. On others, I'll paint the inside of the blank a dark color to help enrich a color.

For many, it's a little trial and error until you get some experience. There are some threads around where some folks have painted different color bands on a wooden dowel and they'll insert the dowel to try to get an idea of what may work.

By and large, I believe anyone will tell you that it is going to take a little experimentation on your part to see how it goes.

Happy experimenting to you.

Matthew

jasontg99

Just picking a color and hope it comes out alright perfectly describes my method! :tongue: In all seriousness though, I usually pick the primary color of the blank as the reverse paint color. Black works very well too as Brian stated.

Last edited:

reiddog1

Well John, that's what's cool about it. There are no rules. I usually paint my blanks the same color as the blank, or at least the main color of the blank. Sometimes, I go with black to darken the color. To me you have to kinda see into the future of what you want out of that blank and do what you think is best to get there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't,and sometimes it looks totally different than you imagined, but way cooler than you thought. Hope this makes sense and helps to answer your question.

Dave

John Smith

Thanks for the help. I just painted five blanks silver. I'll see what they turn out like. I was using the pre painted tubes, but did not like the look of the glue showing through. Guess I'll just have to keep notes on what I like and don't like. Again, thanks for all the advise.
John Smith

Top Bottom