Reverse painting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

It's painting the hole in the blank. Used with acrylic blanks to hide the tube (and glue).

There are two ways to avoid the brass tube to be seen through some translucid acrylic blanks: paint the tube or paint the blank.
When you paint the walls inside the blank after drilling the hole, it's called reverse painting.

its_virgil

painting the tube still allows the glue to be seen which I think is worse looking than seeing the tube. Although, it does allow us to see how good our glue coverage is. Paint the walls of the hole inside the tube. Never understood why someone named the process reverse painting. Painting the hole in the blank seems to communicate the idea just fine. :)
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Forum runner

Chasper

Reverse painting as it relates to pen making has already been nicely described so I won't go there, but the background on the phrase "reverse painting" is worth a short description.

There is an old art form, most commonly found on vintage Christmas ornaments, that involves painting in reverse on the inside of glass globes. The artists would actually insert a tiny brush inside the hole in the globe and paint a scene in reverse on the inside. Some were quite elaborate and are very expensive. Visualizing and then painting a scene in reverse is quite a feat. Imagine reversing the order in which the paint is applied as well as flopping the image. You would have to paint the details before the background, the shadow before the object is shadows, the eyes, nose and mouth before the face, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom