Reverse painting......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I am assuming that whenever turning a transparent or semi-transparent blank, one must paint the inside of the barrel as opposed to the tube.

I made the mistake (twice) of using a pre-painted white tube and clear 15 min epoxy. Apparently, "clear" doesn't mean invisible.

How do you folks handle the turning and tube prep and gluing of transparent or semi-transparent blanks? Obviously, we don't want to see the "clear" glue.

Thank you :):)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Airbear77

I always paint the inside of the blank. I never really understood how painting a tube worked for anyone. Like you said, you can see the glue through the blank. On a side note, I usually get a truer color of the blank when I paint using flat black on any color. I would have thought white...... Until I tried it. Flat black works best for me on the majority of mine. Aaron

TonyL

Mix paint with epoxy

Mix one or two drops of the color used to back-paint the blanks in the epoxy. The epoxy is now the same color as the inside of the blank. Problem solved:biggrin:

I tried that several time, it didn't work well for me. I could still see the outline/edges of the painted epoxy. I am sure it works well for you though.

Thank you!

TonyL

Inside barrel painting

I always paint the inside of the blank. I never really understood how painting a tube worked for anyone. Like you said, you can see the glue through the blank. On a side note, I usually get a truer color of the blank when I paint using flat black on any color. I would have thought white...... Until I tried it. Flat black works best for me on the majority of mine. Aaron

This is a see-through canary yellow blank, black wouldn't work BUT :), do you brush it in (which I find difficult with a 7mm tube) or spray paint it in (messy, but maybe more effective)?

Thank you!

TonyL

Hi Harry! Love TBC by the way...THANK YOU!

I used the Q-tip and fuzz gets in there (when I did it). I may try the spray paint OR maybe can find a small foam-type Q-type at Hobby Lobby!

Thanks for the idea. I am doing some light chores. Give me a buzz if you want. Still no pics from you :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I spray it in - a couple of seconds from each end. I usually just use a paper towel to hold the blank to keep the paint off my hands - works well enough. Nitrile gloves or an old pair of pliers would probably be better though.

Although it's probably not necessary, I also spray paint the tube. It's important for the paint to cure before glue up - I usually let it dry for 2-3 days before glue up.

thewishman

I've used spray (primer works really well) and Q-tipping craft paint (change Qtips when they start to shed) and brushing nail polish. Spray is easiest and messiest, but all ot those methods work for me.

BSea

For transparent blanks, you need to use a color that is close to the blank. I'll use black only if the blank is almost translcent, or I want black to be the highlight color. If the blank has several colors, I'll use a dark silver or grey. Think what primer colors are used on cars. They must know something.

plano_harry

Tony if you are working a blank that is truly transparent in places, try running a round brass brush through the hole several times to longitudinally polish out internal drill marks that will show, even when painted. HF has a nice cheap set with multiple diameters that fit all our pens.

Airbear77

Tony, I put a rubber glove on and hold a spray paint can to the hole and drench it from both ends. Then I shake the excess out of the blank really hard over a trash can until no drops come out. Use flat or satin. Gloss takes too long to dry. You would be surprised about how black would look behind yellow. I did a yellow one with black swirls and used black paint because I wanted the black swirls to stay black. Made the yellow more yellow. If the blank is opaque it would work, but probably not translucent. Did you know that to make white paint more white they put a little black in it? Weird......

TonyL

Thank you. I am going to try the Q-tip method again and then spray method, then use epoxy. I appreciate all the welcomed advice.

Tom T

Tony,
I put on a glove and spray a few short squirts of rust oleum in the Blank. Put in in a cardboard box to catch the over spray. I also paint the tube with the same color. Make sure to get the extra paint out or it will pull off the blank when inserting the tube. I let the paint dry a few hours. Next day is better.
I generally use white but after reading what the rest said will try different colors. Starting with black. I also use CA glue. It seems to work fine or me.

Top Bottom