Reverse Painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pjohnson

A question for those who reverse paint their blanks.

When you reverse paint do you paint the inside of the blank and the tube?
Do you bump up the size of the hole in the blank to prevent the paint from scraping when inserting the tube?

For example: a 3/8" tube, bump the hole to 25/64"

I have found when I paint both the tube and the blank the hole closes just enough to make it diffcult to insert the tube.

You may ask why I paint both ... been burnt a few times with a great blank where the reverse paint did not provide 100% coverage and the brass showed through. I prefer to paint the blank to avoid seeing the CA or epoxy.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks .... PJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

I use powder coated tubes (different colors to blend with my blank) and add paint color to my epoxy. I do not paint inside of blanks anymore. This works most of the time pretty well for me.

Keith "mrburls"

longbeard

I paint both, ocassionally one or the other. Have not any problems of the tubes not fitting when i have done both. I've done sierra style, bolt action, long click, zens and a host of others. I use 5 min gorilla glue epoxy.

When i paint my tubes, i use factory bushings (i use TBC bushings to turn) and put the tube on a mandrel saver (only thing i use it for now). Lathe on slowest speed and use testors paint with a small brush, let it spin for a minute or two when i'm done. I can get a good coverage on the tube this way. I then put the mandrel saver with the tube still on the mandrel in a toaster oven for 30 minutes or so on 150 degrees. For the blank, i use a q-tip to paint the hole. Just my way of doing things.

Harry

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Harry is far more patient than I!!!

Spray paint the tube. Whenever possible, use primer--I like RustOLeum, because it is made to stick to metal (as in brass tube). This will not add appreciably to the size of your tube.

The inside of the blanks can also be spray painted, I admit it is a mess. But line a garbage can with a plastic bag and wear nitrile gloves and throw away the mess, after you are finished.

MOST important, let them dry for at least a day, before assembly so that the paint doesn't smear when you insert the tube.

turncrazy43

PJ, after painting the blanks I use epoxy rather than CA. Gives the same holding power as the CA but will not take the paint away from the blank. Also, no CA smell. Has worked well for me since I switched from CA.

Penl8the

Harry,

I spray inside of the blank with Krylon indoor/outdoor paint - once from each end to make sure I get the coverage. The can says Krylon dries in 10 minutes or less - don't believe it.

I stand the sprayed blank verticallly on a piece of paper towel for 10 minutes. This step is to ensure there is no paint puddling inside the blank - on the wall or at the end.

To speed up the drying I use a hair dryer, set it to high temp blowing the blank alternating from each end for about a minute.

Use a cotton swap to test for dryness. If you see even a hint of the paint, it is not dry. More blowing until dry.

Not very often I have to repeat the second blowing.

*** IMPORTANT ***

Wait for the blank to cool off first. If not the CA will dry up instantly while you are inserting the tube - you will be lucky to get it half way into the blank.

If you want you paint to tube, you can use the same hair drying process.

Good luck. Let me/us know how that would work for you.

longbeard

To each his own, but i'm never in a hurry and this method works great for me.

PJ, let us know how things work out and if you get the results you are looking for and if we can help you with anything else.

Harry

Jim Burr

Banned
Harry is far more patient than I!!!

Spray paint the tube. Whenever possible, use primer--I like RustOLeum, because it is made to stick to metal (as in brass tube). This will not add appreciably to the size of your tube.

The inside of the blanks can also be spray painted, I admit it is a mess. But line a garbage can with a plastic bag and wear nitrile gloves and throw away the mess, after you are finished.

MOST important, let them dry for at least a day, before assembly so that the paint doesn't smear when you insert the tube.

100% yup!! I use Rustoleum silver or black and shoot both at the same time...next day glue it up and get busy!!

MarkD

This question will probably about as many different answers as if you had asked how we apply a CA finish. Here is my method:
I paint the inside of the blanks using Cermacoat acrylic craft paint and a q-tip. If i'm in a hurry I place the end of the blank in front of an old hair dryer for awhile( I don't use heat ). When dry I use 5 minute epoxy to glue the tubes in.

Pjohnson

Thank you to all for your replies. I had been using the same method as many of you with good luck up until this weekend. I have determined that my touch is just off this week. The shop doors are closed for a few days until the bad ju-ju goes away.

My list of foibles:
- messed up painting the blanks
- used the wrong bushings on a blank and crushed the tube
- unseated the brass tube - had to put that back into the blank

All of my issues were with acrylics, so I switched to wood - never had problems there.

The fun continues - my new list of foibles:
- cracked the CA finish when removing the bushing from the nib (dont have the ca bushing for a B mandrel)
- crushed the brass tube adding the center band on a flat top american
- ruined a great Koa blank in the process

And the Patriots lost

Enough was enough ... out went the lights.

It was my turn to make dinner - at least that turned out good.

Last edited:

Stephen

A question for those who reverse paint their blanks.

When you reverse paint do you paint the inside of the blank and the tube?
Do you bump up the size of the hole in the blank to prevent the paint from scraping when inserting the tube?

For example: a 3/8" tube, bump the hole to 25/64"

I have found when I paint both the tube and the blank the hole closes just enough to make it diffcult to insert the tube.

You may ask why I paint both ... been burnt a few times with a great blank where the reverse paint did not provide 100% coverage and the brass showed through. I prefer to paint the blank to avoid seeing the CA or epoxy.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks .... PJ

I sand the blanks after drilling with a rolled up sand paper 250 grid on a chop stick until the tube slides freely in the blank. I paint the inside of the blank, the tube and add a drop of the paint to mix with the 2 part epoxy and has worked very well for me. It may appear as over kill but why not? No regrets.

PeetyInMich

I typically just blow the spray paint down the hole, let it dry on top of the water heater for a day or so, and then epoxy the naked brass tubes in the holes. If I am bored and need something to turn while the acrylic is prepping I can always knock out a few wood pens, with CA'd tubes (I have better luck with CA on wood than I do the plastics, and no paint/ghosting issues with unpainted holes when turning wood). The following link is an old post on reverse painting. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/reverse-painting-115518/

Last edited:
Top Bottom