Reverse painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Hey all, I got a question.
I managed to make a replacement insert for this cap section but now that I put it into the cap, it shows the rhodium plating and the hole and it doesn't look good to me. What could I backpaint the acrylic with to make this look better?

Attachments

• capJGR.jpg
    capJGR.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Do some samples and place the insert over the samples and you decide what looks better. We can only guess from here. You are the one holding the parts.

Dale Allen

I tried a medium blue color and it looks better.
Unless I make another one without the tang on the back to fit in the hole that darker area will always show. It has more depth there and is darker.
However, now that I think about it, maybe a darker blue would blend it better.
It may detract from the light blue color of the acrylic but it is worth a try.

Attachments

• capJGR2.jpg
    capJGR2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 134

Dale Allen

Alum foil or silver paint would look the same as the rhodium finish on the inside surface of the hardware.
The issue became the appearance of the darker center because of the depth of the tang. The darker blue paint evened out that difference.
I may try painting the hardware with black and see how it looks before I glue in the inlay.

BSea

Alum foil or silver paint would look the same as the rhodium finish on the inside surface of the hardware.
The issue became the appearance of the darker center because of the depth of the tang. The darker blue paint evened out that difference.
I may try painting the hardware with black and see how it looks before I glue in the inlay.
I agree that silver wouldn't be the best in this case. When the resin is that clear, silver is not the best choice. You did the right thing with the darker blue. You also don't really need the tang for the hole. If it's turned to the right diameter, it will be fine. That way you don't have to worry about the center showing a different shade.

Dale Allen

I agree Bob.
I knew the tang wasn't necessary but I doubt I could hold anything that small and remove it successfully. The other option was to make another, which I can still do as I have another blank. I'm going to finish this one and see how it looks. I spent a lot of time today getting the blanks painted with a blue and then black reverse painting and just this evening got the tubes glued in. I'm beginning to dislike the translucent acrylics!

Top Bottom