Returned pen - tube won't hold part

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshortjr

I just had my first return. I think it may be partly my own fault, but I need to figure out how to fix it. It's an older Woodcraft Classic American. Right after I sold it she found that the ink had dried up. Forgetting how it went together I started pulling the 2 halves apart to get to the refill (Mistake #1). Instead of the twist mechanism coming out of the end-cap the fitting came out of the lower tube. I quickly noted the refill and shoved it back together, then unscrewed it to make sure it still worked. Well, yesterday she brought it back and it had somehow come apart again, this time losing the spring.
Fortunately, I had another kit and took that spring.

Now, what's the best way to get this ting back together so that piece won't come out of the tube again? CA, epoxy??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I use blue on all of my press fit parts. It adds a step to the process, but it eliminates lots of potential problems - clip spinning, unscrewing of Euro and cigar finials, rollerball finials popping loose from constant spring pressure.

The only parts that do not get the Loctite are cigar upper centerbands (too tight anyway) and Jr. pens cap coupler - they are impossible to remove without the Loctite.

If a part is loose, or it comes out once, it will come out later. The later will damage your reputation.

pshortjr

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought of loctite. Which one is easier to clean up if there is squeeze out when pressing the parts together?

The reputation is of great concern to me as I'm just getting started selling more pens. Very frustrating to have one come back twice, even is the first was just old ink that was easily replaced.

Paul

randyrls

Definitely put the drop of loctite on the inside of the tube, not on the fitting! If you put it on the fitting it will squeeze out on the surface of the fitting and make a mess to wipe off.

its_virgil

Loctite is the best choice for gluing pen parts into the tube. If any gets on the pen surface it will wipe off easily.

Epoxy is the next choice. Alcohol will remove it from the pen surface without damaging the finish.

CA is the last choice. If CA gets onto the pen finish or parts then major problem.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

jttheclockman

Top Bottom