Retro Centerband Disassembly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Does anyone have a non-destructive technique to disassemble the back ring and trim ring on a Jr Retro centerband? I want to customize the trim ring and put it back together, but so far, I haven't been able to get it apart and my IAP searchs did not produce anything I could use.

Thanks,
Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Harry:
There was a tutitorial in the library for disassembling a Jr Gent/Statesman using a shop crafted jig. I would think you could TRY this technique on the Jr Retro..... BUT, if I recall correctly the bottom of the Retro "flairs out", so the jig may NOT work, but looking at the jig may give you some ideas.

Respectfully submitted

plano_harry

Thanks Andy, I did not see anything in the library that fit that description. I did do a site search and found the thread about disassembling a Jr Gent trim ring using a tight fitting hole in plexi, but as you mentioned, the retro has a flared lower end that prevents the trick used on the Gent. If I don't get a solution, I may switch to the Gent and take it apart.

RichF

Harry,

I have never tried this, but in theory, you should be able to do the same thing as the Gent with a Retro using a little improvising.

If I wanted to do this, I would start out with a strong, non-marring material like hard maple. I would take a couple of 3/4" scrap pieces with two good square edges. I would then glue these together with white/wood glue using a piece of paper between them to make it easy to split them apart later. Once dry, drill your hole that is tight enough to capture the trim ring in the center of the joint in the block of wood. On one side of the block, you will need to drill the same hole out wide enough to fit the flare of the centerband and just deep enough that there is only the thickness of material equal to the flat area between the trim ring and the start of the flare. (This needs to be pretty accurate drilling).

This will account for the Retro profile instead of just making a tight fitting hole like you would do for the Gent. Once done, split the two pieces back apart, and you are ready to remove the centerband. To remove the trim ring, you will clamp the two halves together under the trim ring so that they can catch the ring to remove it using the procedure described in the other thread.

As said, I haven't done this, but it should work. Good luck.

hewunch

I have gotten rid of the the rings by chucking the coupler in my collet chuck and turning them off. That said, unless you devised some sort of contracting holder, I would think it would be hard to do with just the jr gent's dis-assembly type block. NOW, that said, thinking a bit further out of the box. The trim rings for the jr gent are exactly the same as the ones for the retro. SO, you could use some left over rings from a gent once you destroyed the ones for the retro.

Top Bottom