Result of crossing Eagle with Old Griz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

Well, there is a story behind this pencil, but first the inspiration. When I saw Griz's post on his unibody pencil I like the thought of it for woodworking pencil since I don't have any of those kits on hand. The pencil had to be purpleheart, but that is plane boring so I added a small Eagle touch to the pencil by laminating in some figured maple. I call it an Eagriz pencil. :D

200562125944_unibodyphpencil.jpg

The story.... I'm preparing to go to a full week course on making a Sam Maloof style rocking chair at the Marc Adam's School of Woodworking. The course starts 6/25. I'm going to the school with a good friend from Woodnet who goes by the screen name Vanguard. He is famous for the use of purpleheart. I decided to make us a couple of "special" pencils for this trip/occasion. Of course it had to contain purpleheart, but I needed to do something more. We will be using these to trace designs and take notes for our rocking chairs. I'm sure they will be featured in our photo documentries our this very special course/experience.

Thanks,

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Great looking pencil John, fine workmanship. But I don't know about that name.[?]
an Eagriz, sounds like there would be a knot in that somewhere [:D]
Have fun in your class.

Thumbs

He say EaGriz, I say egress! Let's start lookin' for the way out! [:0][:p][}:)][;)]

After that, I guess I should wish you a good time at school but always check the exits......
Have a good session!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Nice idea on the pencil, but there is no mixing Griz and I on this one.
I have been both modifying pencil kits or just cutting a length of tube for them.
This power point went to a customer in Pa early in january.
One piece with a tenon turned for the casing on top.
dance.gif

200562111931_powerpoint%20antler%20casing.jpg
<br />

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
John that is a great pencil...
But here is a picture of an actual Eagriz.. horrible hybrid, the result of a DNA experiment gone horrible wrong.... just watch out for the double sting...

2005621144939_Eagliz.jpg

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />John that is a great pencil...
But here is a picture of an actual Eagriz.. horrible hybrid, the result of a DNA experiment gone horrible wrong.... just watch out for the double sting...
{/quote]

How about a picture of the "grizel"?[:D]

woodguy1975

I'll get it up on my website as soon as I can when I get back from the course. Vanguard and I are both very adamant and keeping good photo records and doing writeups of things like this.

John

BigRob777

Ok, I'll bite. Please don't tell me that those lines spiral all of the way up the pen. They are slashes, so to speak, and not a spiral, aren't they? If they are actual spirals, I just might have to give up penturning before I get started. [B)]That is amazing work, John.

woodguy1975

They are not spirals. They are simply slashes (as you put it) cut at 30 degrees on 1" intervals. I simply used my miter saw to make this and another blank. That and some CA glue is all it took along with the maple. The stuff that Eagle does is far more complicated than what I did here.

You can keep penturning. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom