Respirators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi, I have another question. What can you tell me about respirators...I have enough knowledge to know I need one...and I need one that has a good filter because my lungs ain't the best you've ever seen and the dust (especially from sanding) pens for finishing raises havoc with me. I have no experience with respirators though....McFeely's has a full face cover called a Trend Face Mask that comes with filters etc. It's fairly expensive they also have many others half-face, full face and just nose and mouth...

I know that nose and mouth facemasks do not fit me well at all so I can probably eliminate those but would like to hear opinions/experiences with half face, full face, and Trend Face Masks. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The problem with the fit may be that you are using the wrong size or the filters are dirty. Do you have some kind of a dust collection system? If not you will find that it really helps.

LarryDNJR

I got this mask a few weeks ago and I like it. My knowledge isn't the greatest with respirators either but so far this one has been doing ok for me.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...=2038&ss=d4e329d0-0874-45a0-9b46-5d7585f277f6

Woodcraft

Multi-Purpose Respirator

The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes, (except urethane paints), pesticides, lead fumes, ammonia, asbestos, and toxic dusts and meets OSHA and NIOSH requirements.

Price: $49.99

The Multi-Purpose Respirator feature soft, comfortable, great fitting face pieces for superior comfort and protection, built-in exhalation valves and low profile replaceable cartridges for better vision. Respirator comes in recloseable packaging for easy and safe storage. The Toxic Dust Respirator traps over 99.97% of toxic dust including lead, asbestos and Hantavirus. Meets the latest US government respirator standards (P100 Class), OSHA and NIOSH requirements. The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes, (except urethane paints), pesticides, lead fumes, ammonia, asbestos and toxic dusts. Cartridges are interchangeable between respirators. Inexpensive replacement Pancake Style Filters will fit either of the above respirators. The N95 filter is 95% effective against particulate matter free of oils. The P100 filter is 99.97% (HEPA) effective against particulate matter that may or may not include oils. Both filters are recommended for general use and woodworking in particular with the P100 recommended for those with sensitivity to wood dust. Both meet the latest US government, OSHA and NIOSH requirements.

• The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes (except urethane paints)
  • Meets OSHA and NIOSH requirements.
  • These respirators feature soft, comfortable, great fitting facepieces for superior comfort
  • Will except other types of replacement cartridges, toxic dust, multi-purpose, P100, N95.

Rangertrek

Trend

I use a Trend Air shield Pro for most of my turning projects. The Trend is a good piece of equipment. It is a bit heavy, and has air noise from the fan. Takes a little time to get used to it. At first, I had a headache from wearing it. That went away quickly. It does not "seal" around the face, it has a shroud type covering, so it is should fit most people.

If you choose a respirator with a seal and cartridges, keep in mind you have to have the lung capacity to pull air through the cartridges. It is a negative pressure respirator. A model with a fan and supplied air, called a PAPR, provides a flow of air the face and filters the incoming air through the filters. This is a positive pressure respirator. Dust masks and similar items, without a seal, only filter the bid stuff. The small particles, the ones to be concerned about, still go around the mask and down your throat.

If you are trying to protect yourself, go with a model with seals.

Don't let the price by a factor in choosing a respirator. Hard to put a price on your lungs. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I use a Trend Air shield Pro for most of my turning projects. The Trend is a good piece of equipment. It is a bit heavy, and has air noise from the fan. Takes a little time to get used to it. At first, I had a headache from wearing it. That went away quickly. It does not "seal" around the face, it has a shroud type covering, so it is should fit most people.

If you choose a respirator with a seal and cartridges, keep in mind you have to have the lung capacity to pull air through the cartridges. It is a negative pressure respirator. A model with a fan and supplied air, called a PAPR, provides a flow of air the face and filters the incoming air through the filters. This is a positive pressure respirator. Dust masks and similar items, without a seal, only filter the bid stuff. The small particles, the ones to be concerned about, still go around the mask and down your throat.

If you are trying to protect yourself, go with a model with seals.

Don't let the price by a factor in choosing a respirator. Hard to put a price on your lungs. :)
Tell me about it....COPD or lung cancer, got my father, two brothers and a sister.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I got this mask a few weeks ago and I like it. My knowledge isn't the greatest with respirators either but so far this one has been doing ok for me.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...=2038&ss=d4e329d0-0874-45a0-9b46-5d7585f277f6

Woodcraft

Multi-Purpose Respirator

The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes, (except urethane paints), pesticides, lead fumes, ammonia, asbestos, and toxic dusts and meets OSHA and NIOSH requirements.

Price: $49.99

The Multi-Purpose Respirator feature soft, comfortable, great fitting face pieces for superior comfort and protection, built-in exhalation valves and low profile replaceable cartridges for better vision. Respirator comes in recloseable packaging for easy and safe storage. The Toxic Dust Respirator traps over 99.97% of toxic dust including lead, asbestos and Hantavirus. Meets the latest US government respirator standards (P100 Class), OSHA and NIOSH requirements. The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes, (except urethane paints), pesticides, lead fumes, ammonia, asbestos and toxic dusts. Cartridges are interchangeable between respirators. Inexpensive replacement Pancake Style Filters will fit either of the above respirators. The N95 filter is 95% effective against particulate matter free of oils. The P100 filter is 99.97% (HEPA) effective against particulate matter that may or may not include oils. Both filters are recommended for general use and woodworking in particular with the P100 recommended for those with sensitivity to wood dust. Both meet the latest US government, OSHA and NIOSH requirements.

• The Multi-Purpose Respirator provides further protection from paint fumes (except urethane paints)
  • Meets OSHA and NIOSH requirements.
  • These respirators feature soft, comfortable, great fitting facepieces for superior comfort
  • Will except other types of replacement cartridges, toxic dust, multi-purpose, P100, N95.
Thanks I am considering those as well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The problem with the fit may be that you are using the wrong size or the filters are dirty. Do you have some kind of a dust collection system? If not you will find that it really helps.
I have a dust collector but it handles mainly saw dust and chip sized stuff it does not have a small micron filter for the sanding dust and dust collection around the lathe is iffy at best. I don't have a tent so a lot of fine dust gets into the air.

Paladin

Respirator...

I have a dust collector but it handles mainly saw dust and chip sized stuff it does not have a small micron filter for the sanding dust and dust collection around the lathe is iffy at best. I don't have a tent so a lot of fine dust gets into the air.

I work in my garage. It is summer in Wisconsin. It can be warm (hot) and uncomfortable. I tried the $49.99 respirator from Woodcraft and took it back. Upgraded to this http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pr...19327&ss=6c281dc0-a9cb-4637-a177-8b9d8cd9ba1e

and it is much better. It is battery powered and brings in cool fresh air. The other one made my face hot and sweaty and it felt like I was rebreathing hot stale air (which I was). If you are thinking of this price range, try to find a positive pressure type.

I have adult onset allergies (to wood, of course) and adult onset asthma. I am 57 and it just started about 4 years ago. I thoght you grew out of that stuff, not into it! I am careful about my lungs because if I start having health problems from turning, I may have to give it up. Then what would I do?

Marc Ward
Brookfield, WI

Top Bottom