Is a respirator necessary when turning Acrylics? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Is a respirator necessary when turning Acrylics?

I've been dealing with sinus issues for about 6 weeks now. Just about the same amount of time that I started turning more and more acrylics. Coincidence?
I don't use a respirator or dust mask because they are two restrictive and causes my glasses to fog. And Honestly? I just hate wearing one unless I absolutely have too.
Anyone else's sinus get irritated after turning acrylics?
Who here uses a respirator and if so can you recommend a brand or model that is not restrictive.
-Anthony
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 4

My opinion, and only my opinion...

I believe a respirator is always necessary when there is any type of
airborne particulate and/or hazardous fumes.

I can't suggest a respirator, since peoples preferences vary. I would look for a full face or hood style. Both prevent fogging and introduce fresh air.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Anthony,

I developed severe problems with CA allergies two years after I started making pens, but not with turning acrylics. I too wear glasses and while I am not a big/large person (5' 10") I have large lungs. When I breath out with any face masks, or if I wear goggles, my glasses will fog. Anti-fog wipes do not work either.

I went to a respirator that fit snug. These two types:
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Works-...s%2C191&sr=8-6
https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR457-El...-1-spons&psc=1

At first I did not like it but learned to live with it - to the point that in dry dusty weather, I wear one when cutting grass. I also wear a flip up face mask.

Face masks do not work for me. Humid air escapes up around my nose and into my glasses. No kinds of anti-fog stuff works with my lung volume. The first respirator I bought (I was overseas) had a single intake/exhaust filter and it did the same as a face mask. Then I went with a more expensive one an dual filters and larger exhaust port. I have not had a problem since then.

I had a Triton with forced air flowing but it had nicad batteries. Nicads are good for a couple of years then kaput. The expensive forced air masks are good, but you have to get used to using them.

One more thing: I tried everything I could in using other finishes so that I would not have to use a mask or respirator but in the end, if I wanted to enjoy pen making, I had to use CA on most pens. I put in a Dust Collector system and began using a respirator. It helped. I still do this. FOR my CA allergies, odorless CA really helps but I am so used to the old ways that I use regular CA and my respirator and a DC.

Good is the enemy of Best
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 32

I use a Elipse p100, I wear glasses and have no problem with fogging. It also will fit under my Bionix face shield.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default Is a respirator necessary when turning Acrylics?

I use these with the 2097 filters. They have a carbon layer in them. I wear glasses and they have not been a problem. I use their large size. I am a big guy almost 6 8 (talltim) and huff and puff a lot of air.

Ca used to bother me some but have been fine with this set up.

Mask

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Profession.../dp/B004HXBCMG

Filters

https://www.amazon.com/3M-2097-Parti...BFHQ0V51GXCMNZ

Last edited by Talltim; 03-06-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

John/Hank/Keith

I just ordered the Elipse p100 from amazon. I'll give it a shot

Thank you for your replies
-anthony
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have a respirator but can't wear it as it makes my glasses move up and out of focus. Then I get headaches. I use 3-M dust masks with the relief valve; this is under a full face mask when I'm turning. Wear the mask when doing just about anything in the shop- sanding, drilling, painting or finishing, etc. Why? My wife says to wear it.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I don't know. But I wear a mask. have a dc, a fan creating positive pressure behind me, and a large shop air filter. I am sure there is still some stuff in my lungs. I never smoked, drank, or ...., but something will have to kill me. I do own a face shield, but don't wear it unless I am roughing a bottle stopper. I should probably wear it for safety reasons.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi. My 2 cents. I started out building wood model ships. Many people use CA glue, and I was one of them. After an early hull planking session, when I went to bed that night, I thought I had a sudden severe case of pneumonia - my lungs were very gurgle-ey. Although I did not die, I found I have developed a severe allergy to CA glue. Well crap!

Fast forward to now, and my new penturning hobby. I love the CA finish, and wanted to use it, SO I researched and bought a 3M RUGGED COMFORT QUICK LATCH 1/2 FACE RESPIRATOR - about $20 plus cartridges. A size Small is model number 6501QL, Medium 6502QL, and Large 6203QL.

I bought a pack of dual purpose cartridges - 3M model 60926 - about $15. It is a P100 particulate/air filter on top of a Multi Gas Vapor cartridge - listed as Nuisance level organic vapors, and nuisance level acid gases. I can not smell any CA fumes, and cocobolo dust does not bother me the least - but I must wear a long sleeve shirt - don't ask how I know (big rash all over my arms).

I really like the Quick Latch feature, and it is the reason I chose this model. You just flip the latch under your chin, and the mask falls down from your mouth a few inches, allowing you to talk, drink, snack - - . When you are ready to go back to work, just flip the Quick Latch back under your chin, and you are back in business.

Turning acrylic does not bother me, just the CA. I do have a half-asses dust collection system that pulls some fumes, but the respirator is comfortable, and does not fog my safety glasses.

Last edited by CaptainJane; 03-06-2019 at 04:30 PM.
CaptainJane is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've had lung issues before I even started turning. So I use a face shield and respirator. I turn both wood and arcylic. I also wear glasses as well. I've never had an issues wearing these at the same time. I hope this helps you.

Face Shield
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/bionic-face-shield

Respirator
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...R-1-Respirator
acmaclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads