respirator for CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I have turned a few pieces that required me to soak the blank with a lot of CA and I am worried that maybe it is not the healthiest thing to be inhaling. What do any of you use for a respirator? I have one I use for pesticides, but thinking that is not the appropriate filter, but when I tried to research CA, I did not find much. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.. AS ALWAYS :)

Mitch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kendallqn

you need to get one rated for VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) or it wont stop the fumes. If its already dry before you turn then any particulate respirator will work. There is a difference so make sure to pay attention.

1080Wayne

Best not to turn anything that is CA soaked until it has fully cured . It will splatter where you don`t want it if not cured . If you can smell it or your eyes start to burn , it is not cured .

wyone

I worry about even the application of the thin CA and when I am using CA to finish. I recently did a leather pen and it absorbed an immense amount of CA and that was when I really got to thinking, I need to do something to protect my lungs. I think the respirator I have.. and that I got out finally is for organic vapors, but not sure if it says organic volatile vapors. I will be certain to research that tomorrow.

Kendallqn

A good way to tell as well is if you smell anything while your wearing it. Even a good VOC rated one goes bad after so long and you need to replace the filters. If you smell anything at all its time to replace. And yes CA is harmful. I used to not think so till I developed and allergy to it. Now I cant get near it without a full mask.

monophoto

My wife mentioned that cookware stores sell 'onion masks' that are designed to prevent tearing while cutting onions. Seems to me that an onion mask might be an effective way to deal with CA fumes.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried this - I generally don't use CA for finishing.

turncrazy43

Try the Resp-O-Rato. I just got mine yesterday and it works great. They are available at Packard Woodworks and Hartville Tools. Light weight and it won't break the bank.

sbwertz

Try the Resp-O-Rato. I just got mine yesterday and it works great. They are available at Packard Woodworks and Hartville Tools. Light weight and it won't break the bank.

I also use the Resp-O-Rator but in addition, I set a fan to blow across the work to blow the fumes away, and I have a dust collector and hood on the lathe that pulls most of the fumes away when finishing on the lathe.

wyone

I did search on respirators, and frankly was more confused. I like the Resp-O-Rator, but then again I don't see that it has cartridges to protect against CA. I am honestly thinking of a full face mask, but with the reading glasses could not figure out if would work.

plano_harry

Did you see the posts on the MSA? What I use. You are looking for any product that stops organic vapors. The MSA is comfortable, light and reasonably priced. Several good comments about it. Good place to start. Many of us also discovered the need to collect sub-micron dust particles using a well designed dust collection system. This will typically solve your CA fumes problem at the same time.

Jim Burr

Banned
CA creates a thermolitic ( I spelled that wrong) reaction. The result of that reaction is a gas...that gas is both volital (think I spelled that wrong too!) and toxic...but not for very long! If you want something to filter that out, get a VOC rated filter. A fan is a great idea. As has been discussed just short of a million times, breathing and impact protection are a must...I have a special word for you if you aren't using both.
Charcoal activated stuff is what is typically rated for VOC goodies.
PM if you want more specific details.

Top Bottom