resin colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

This is the place that I have gotten my dyes and colors from.

http://www.artstuf.com/pigments-dyes-colorants.html

Here is a link to the article by Jay Pickens on how he casts PR. He has company names and web addresses at the end of the article. If the tiny url thingy don't work, let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/a8rvc

Hope this works, and I also hope this helps you.

JimGo

I have gotten it from Douglas & Sturges (the same place as Jim), but I also just go to the local art store. I know D&S is cheaper, but the local store is only about 20 minutes away, and they have the entire line of PearlEx pigments. So, when I want something, I can go there, pick out what I want, and walk out with it the same day (plus, there's no shipping!).

Oh, and then there's Michael's and A.C. Moore; they have some "sampler" packs of PearlEx that are great for playing. You can easily do 3 or 4 molds (depending on how big your molds are) from each color in the pack, and there are either 12 or 15 colors in the pack.

Good luck!

ok...question, I guess for Jim LOL You've mentioned the local art store. Are we allowed to mention brand names on here? As, I know there are pigments in the stamping area, the artist type paints and again over where the acrylic paints are sold. We're CONFUSED! LOL And our only attempt was rather awful...so we don't want to waste time & supplies on another failure, if we purchased the wrong product.

We saw some small jars of some sort of pigment at Michael's today-- but I forget what brand LOL And Mike is asleep, not to mention he's in Bham too LOL I just recall they were about 24.99 for I think, 12 small jars. So, what dept of Michaels is PearlEx found?

thanks in advance for spoon feeding us.

LOL

And I have additional questions!! How does one put the 'ribbons' in the acrylic? What ARE they??? I had wondered if mylar balloon-type ribbons would work-- but our favorite, the Crimson Marble- looks almost like band=aid material with its open holes. Any clues there?

I'm anxious to get started on some resin making....and boy...if my ideas work? LOL can't wait to post-- but "m sure it'll be weeks.

JimGo

Connie and Mike, my local art store is called PlaZa artist supplies. They are a regional chain. I didn't mention their name simply because I'm not sure how many of them there are! [:D] I mention brand names when appropriate, and when I can remember how to spell it! I use PearlEx luster powder and pigment manufactured by Jacquard(sp?) Products in my castings (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/). They are the people that make the $25, 12-jar kit you mentioned. Michael's doesn't carry the big(ger) jars of PearlEx; for that, I go to PlaZa. PlaZa has a 10 or 15% off card if you shop there frequently, and I was able to get a 2nd 12-jar kit and, for its retail price, also get a big(ger) jar of "interference blue".

Some here have also used liquid dyes in their castings; I have a set from Michael's, but haven't tried them yet. My problem with the liquid is that the blank is likely to be transparent, and I like something more opaque for most of my blanks.

As for the "ribbons", they have appeared in the castings I've made all by themselves. I am pretty sure they are the pearling agent, and that it is just tending to be chemically/electrically attracted to itself. If you look here, you'll see a silver casting I made two weekends ago, and turned this weekend:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6899

I didn't do anything special with that blank, and actually thought it was going to be a relatively solid color; BOY was I wrong!

As for the Crimson Marble, you may be able to simply cast it in the resin. For example, if you do like Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) has been doing and glue the ribbon to a tube, and then cast the tube in resin, you may be able to get the look you want.

Hope this helps, and, as always, feel free to ask questions!

53Jim

Another thing I played with PR, was to use acrylic paint (craft paint) as a dye. It seemed to work OK, but I used some really crappy colors, so those blanks went to the garbage men.

I just added drops of paint while mixing, and when I had the color I was hoping for I mixed in some "pearl dust" (I can't remember the real name of this stuff).

It's fun to experiment, ain't it???

I just wish I could quit my job to experiment all the time LOL there just aren't enough hours in the day to get all done that needs doing! We might just wait until next week (Michaels had NOTHING on sale-- so I'm figuring a big ad next week is coming LOL) and use one of their 40% off one item couple as I feel certain those pigments AREN"T one of their main items to discount!!

So, do you think it IS a bandaid type ribbon in the Crimson marble thats so cool? They also have black & white in it as well.

I've noticed that many glue or paint onto the barrel (thinking of the guys' glitter pen here)...does that work better than just casting it into the resin itself? hmmmmmmmmm... not enough time, darnit LOL

JimGo

Where have you seen the crimson marble? I haven't seen that one.
----
EDIT: this is the only crimson marble I could find:
csp374.jpg

----

As for the glue/painted barrel, it does work well for certain things. Since the PR is clear, it tends to magnify the underlying "stuff", which is kind of cool. What's nice about that approach is that you don't have to worry about consistency; it WILL look like what you put on the barrel. The down side, IMHO, is that you won't get the depth that you can get with colored/dyed resin. That's not to say you can't do a 3D glue-up on the tube, but its not the same thing as having pearl swirls that run into and around the resin.

As always, this is just my humble opinion! Heck, I've been tempted to do a picture on the side of a pen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom