Resin/Burl blanks??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I have seen these things before, a burl cap cast in with resin. They certainly look nice. Has anyone ever turned one? Do they break/crack easily? They seem like they'd be pretty unpredictable.

If you have finished pictures that would be great. They are somewhat more expensive than normal burls and I would rather not blow up a twelve dollar experiment.

Thanks,

Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

They turn easily if your tools are SHARP and kept SHARP. I don't have any pictures, but they make beautiful pens. There are a couple people who sell them on this site.

blksnak

stabilized burl

I turned this one last week. It was my first stabilized turning.

Attachments

• postP1150043.JPG
    postP1150043.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 314

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
That type of blank originated and was born here on IAP! MANY have used them here and continue to do so. If they were made right, they are just as easy to turn as any other type of blank.

crabcreekind

If they are cast under pressure, then they are more than likely good to go. because the resin goes into all the little cracks and voids.

Jim Burr

Banned
You can have even more fun...I had some kind of Dunnowood that I pressure cast. After I cut it up...it was real punky. Tada!! Stabilize it. It might suck after I turn it, but I learned how to pull that off!

Randy Simmons

Well thanks for the info guys!

Also, PLEASE check out burl source!! Robert is a great guy to work with and he always has the coolest stuff in stock, and the best prices. I buy all my exotic wood blanks from him.

here's my review.

Randy

Top Bottom