Resin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

Made my first block for resin blanks last night. I made it pink with pearl and sparkle luster powder. (for the ladies of course!) It looks great, just have to turn and see how they look. I will post pics and maybe offer some if they work out. Much cheaper than buying them. I'm going to make several more tonight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

coach

Actually at this time they could. During the spring I coach the girl's fastpitch team. They are the main ones that wanted me to make a pink pen. During the fall I hope my football team doesn't want them! LOL

Rifleman1776

Don't do it, Coach. Here in Arkansas the coach of the U. of Arkansas football team got in deep doo-doo because his defensive assistant coach was putting pink shirts on lazy players to motivate them. Some women, survivors of breast cancer protested claiming that the players wearing pink caused them grief since pink is the symbolic color of cancer survivors. Anybody will protest anything.

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Coach, I thought those might be for your players! :) Can't wait to see the pics!

coach

I heard about that. I'm the defensive coordinator, and probably should have done that after the year we had. First time in my career we were not in the playoffs. That doesn't go over well here in south texas! LOL

mick

Oh Lord Coach , don't let Connie know you coach fast pitch. That's all she can talk about as it is. Her oldest had a full ride through college playing and is now an Asst. Coach at one of the local high schools. Connie is known to more as SoftBallMom than by her name...lol. I never understood the whole softball thing, now give me baseball and I can relate!

coach

Mick,
I was a baseball guy. Started to play in college then just had enough. My first year coaching a guy was reassigned and it was mine. The first game I saw was the first game I was the head coach. Now I really like it. I've turned down the baseball job 3 times. It is a great game. Mechanics are like baseball, but strategy has small differences. It is also a good change after football season. We also made the playoffs this year.

coach

Pictures don't do this justice, but you get the idea.

20054822219_pink1.jpg
<br />

20054822250_pink2.jpg
<br />

20054822316_pink3.jpg
<br />

jtswood

Coach!
Being a newbie I am not familiar with resin blanks. Where can I find some info?

JimGo

JTS, look on the front page (http://www.penturners.org )

Coach, they came out great! I'd love to hear what you thought of the process. I have something I want to cast IN some resin, but have been reluctant to try.

knottyharry

Hi Coach,
The pen came out looking very nice.
I haven't tried any yet but will at some point.
What are you using to pour the resin in?
And where are you buying your supplies for it?
Again, very nice looking pen.
Harry

its_virgil

The article by Jay Pickens which is posted on our home page tells all that is needed about casting PR blanks...where to buy, how to cast, where to get molds, how much catalyst to use...and best of all...about 30 cents per pen and you can make colors than no one else has....

Hey Coach...way to go..nice looking pens and castings. You are having too much fun. Congrats on making the playoffs...our girls are in also.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

knottyharry

Hey Coach.
An after thought...when you turn the resin blanks, do they chip pretty bad as you turn them?
I did a couple recently that I purchased, and they threw little chips everywhere.
So i'm not sure if it was just those blanks, or if all the resin ones do that.
Thanks
Harry

wayneis

Harry if your tools are sharp enough then the only time that you would have any chips is when you are just starting out. Once you get it mostly rounded then it should come off in ribbons.

Wayne

Daniel

Harry,
the acrylics available fron our suppliers vary from type to type. don't give up from one tough experience and give some of the others a shot.
I've had a couple that prety much chipped apart while others cut very smoothly. of course sharp tools help.

MDWine

Oh man... look what you've started...

So then, can you give us a rough idea what it costs to cast resin? Materials? Molds? info like that... My wife REALLY is going to shoot me... or maybe enjoy just beating me with my house full (and filling) with blanks!!!!

BTW... the blue one is great... I really like it!

darbytee

Michael, I just ordered a setup for it last week and it was under $100 for everything, probably closer to $75. I used copy and paste from Jay Pickens' article on the front page and ordered exactly what he recommended (just in smaller batches).

It looks like Anthony, Coach and Ed D are setting the bar pretty high on the resins.

MDWine

Just got the article... Brilliant!
I have so many ideas for pens... wow!
I didn't see anything about gluing pieces together, and haven't seen the site yet.
Is there a special glue to put two or three "slices" together?

Thanks guys, and coach.

jdavis

Coach, What part of south Texas? Pen looks good. I know about the football team and pens. I was Def line coach here and Head Girls basketball coach. Now I drive 3 routes and teach Technology Education classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom