Request for Instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Miller

I have pretty much been a lurker on this forum and would like to learn how to turn pens. I will be in the Cleveland/Lorain County area of Ohio for a few weeks beginning July 22nd and was hoping that one of the turners in that area would show me how to turn a couple of pens. I have been a woodworker for several years but, no turning experience. I will buy the materials and pay a reasonable fee for your intruction and use of your equipment. If anyone is interested please email me at millere35@hotmail.com to let me know where you are located and what you would charge for your time.
Thank You,
Ed Miller

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Ed,
We've got a lot of great people here, and at least a few in Ohio, if I remember correctly. If, however, you are unable to find someone who is willing to take you upon your offer, you might consider purcasing Bill Baumbeck's video (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com ) or Penn State Industries' video. Both are very handy.

The PSI video is relatively short (30 minutes, I think) and gives you a good overview of the penmaking process. I got this for free with my first purchase from PSI, and it was helpful for a complete woodworking novice like myself.

Bill's is about 2-2.5 hours, and goes into the process in a lot more detail. I had made a handful of pens when I talked to Bill and found out about his video, and I learned a LOT from his video.

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your work!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
MMMM sounds like a good excuse for an Ohio Penfest to me.... I know they got cows there...[:p][:p]
and if you give him enough notice, I am sure Thumbs will ride his out...[}:)]

Czarcastic

Edward:
Welcome.
If there is a Woodcraft near you, they offer very good classes on pen turning. That's where I turned my first pen (I, too, had been doing "regular" woodworking for years prior). It will probably be the best $60 you'll spend. [;)]

hobby_dale

I second Steve's suggestion about a class at Woodcraft. Everyone learns differently, so for me hands-on was needed. I have watched the PSI video and learned a lot. However, until I put it into practice it just didn't all click into place. Having someone there to help, guide and answer questions was a boon for me.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. There is a a lot of great information here and also some really great people.

Thumbs

Too late<b> Griz</b>! The Flying Horde just made its last round up! Ha! However, the baloney is still on reserve. You're really lucky the last squadron was recalled; because they were OTOT and ETA was less than five minutes at recall.[}:)][}:)] They would have had to rename Hagerstown to CowPie Junction![:0][:p][:eek:)]

BTW, <b>Ed</b>, just go to the PSI website and request their DVD for Free.
I don't think you'll have any problem getting somebody from this forum to help you learn wherever you go. We're all a bunch of show offs! 'Cept me, I'm kinda shy.......

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

Your question has been answered appropriately, so let me just add my "welcome". Hope you enjoy your initial penturning experience.

alamocdc

Ed, let me add my welcome as well. I'd be more than willing to assist you, but I'm not in that area of Ohio. Besides, my shop is so messy, it's almost embarassing. [B)]

Edward Miller

Thank you all very much for your quick responses. GregD, I sent you an email. I have spoken to Berea on the phone and have made arrangements to stop by and see them. I plan to buy my materials there when my "teacher" tells me what I need to get (see? I told you I was a novice[:D]). The closest Woodcraft is on the east side of Cleveland. There is a Rockler on the west side that I understand is doing a turning class or demonstration on the 23rd that I'll check into when I get up there. I will also check into getting the videos and DVDs that you all recommended. Oh yeah alamocdc...I have been a woodworker for a while and I'll bet you that as far as "messy" is concerned...your shop can't be any worse than mine[;)].
Again, thank you all very much,

Edward Miller

I just would like to thank all those that responded to this post and especially Greg Darling and the folks at Berea Hardwoods for taking the time to show me what I needed to turn a pen, and in Gregs case allowing me the use of his equipment as well as sharing his expertise. Now I just gotta buy a lot of "stuff" and put that knowledge to use[:D].
Thanks Again Guys,
Ed Miller

craneman54

Another thing you can look into is to see if there is a turning club where you live.

I know the people here are very helpful and talented turners.

A club would give you the chance to meet other turners and get even more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom