Replacing kit refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

I was recently reading an article in Woodturning Designs Issue #48 page 15 by Kurt Hertzog on pen making and it covers a rather interesting observation about refills.

It seems that there can be a variation in length between the refills that come in kits and replacement "standard" refills. - I assume that this matters most with Cross style refills.

When we assemble a pen and position the mechanism so that the kit refill protrudes the "correct" distance when in the writing position, if we then replace that refill with a "standard" one that the customer may purchase, it may protrude more!!

I checked a couple that I have from different suppliers and sure enough the factory refills are shorter by about 1/16"; enough to make a major difference.

He thus suggests that we replace the kit refills with after-market ones to avoid this problem.

For a while, what I would do is to purchase extra refills and offer them as a free addon, but will now follow this advice, so that my customers do not run into this problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I haven't sold a pen with a kit refill in years. They all get replaced with known good (full) refills.

I've had kit refills run out or dry up almost immediately in addition to quality control issues on length.

For the Cross style refills, make sure the plastic piece is pressed all the way onto the refill. I've found man that are not which account for overly long refills.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi,

I was recently reading an article in Woodturning Designs Issue #48 page 15 by Kurt Hertzog on pen making and it covers a rather interesting observation about refills.

It seems that there can be a variation in length between the refills that come in kits and replacement "standard" refills. - I assume that this matters most with Cross style refills.

When we assemble a pen and position the mechanism so that the kit refill protrudes the "correct" distance when in the writing position, if we then replace that refill with a "standard" one that the customer may purchase, it may protrude more!!

I checked a couple that I have from different suppliers and sure enough the factory refills are shorter by about 1/16"; enough to make a major difference.

He thus suggests that we replace the kit refills with after-market ones to avoid this problem.

For a while, what I would do is to purchase extra refills and offer them as a free addon, but will now follow this advice, so that my customers do not run into this problem.
It seems to me that it is just as much a problem with Parker style as cross. Many turners change the refills to assure smoother writing.

Last edited:

mike4066

I just ran into this last night. I put together a slimline and the kit refill wouldn't write so I pulled one from another kit and it was too short.

Thanks for the info.

thewishman

Cross refills are so much easier to adjust. I press my transmissions in a bit deep and only screw the refill in to where it looks good to me. I show customers how to adjust the point by screwing the refill in or out to fit their preference.

Top Bottom