Replacing ballpoint with rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scoots

I was wondering if it was possible to replace a ballpoint with a rollerball in a pen kit. For example, could I make a slimline and put a rollerball in it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

The quick answer is No . Rollerball cartridges are designed to fit in pens made for rollerball cartridges , ballpoint refills are shaped differently and are different lengths .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The problem is the roller ball diameter it will fit down the barrell but the tips inside are different and the transmissions wont fit into 7mm tubes. One of the members made one work by adapting a 7mm slimline transmission, but it is not an easy adaptation.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
On the other hand ... it depends on the refill that comes with the kit. I've found the the Atlas (Polaris) kit comes with a 'Parker-compatible' refill. I go up to Office Depot (or similar) and buy a Parker RB, and they work fine. I may have also done this with the El Grande, but I'm not sure.

So why not take your kit-refill to the office supply store, look for one in the rack that looks the same (length, diameter, and notches on the end) and test it. At worst you'll spend a couple of bucks.

Good luck!

Mac

Until you mentioned slimelines as your example, the answer would have been yes, for gel and maybe some rollerballs, but slimelines take a cross refill or cross type refill.
I have modified some of my parker kits to accept Zebra refills, as I have some customers that like the fine point that Zebra offers.

el_d

Until you mentioned slimelines as your example, the answer would have been yes, for gel and maybe some rollerballs, but slimelines take a cross refill or cross type refill.
I have modified some of my parker kits to accept Zebra refills, as I have some customers that like the fine point that Zebra offers.

I like the Zebra refills, Would you mind sharing your Zebra modification with us?

Mac

I like the Zebra refills, Would you mind sharing your Zebra modification with us?

I'll be happy to share, as I too like Zebras
It was all an accident. I was making a polaris pen and was trying out my new very sharp pen mill and milled off too much blank, and the parker refill would no longer fit so I tried the Zebra, it fit.
So on the polaris or what ever the supplier calls them, you can shorten your blank ,as tranny is in the cap. I personally like Serrias and as the transmission is enclosed with the refill I just cut a plug the same diamater as top of a parker refill and lay Zebra beside a parker to get the length for the plug, slide plug in tran. then refill ,screw on, done.
I usually only make this kind for myself, but if I do sell one, I tell the customer about the plug, so they won't loose it. I sometimes have a parker that won't write so I cut the top off the refill, that way its a plastic plug.
Hope this helps..
PS I opened my mouth right before christmas and sold my personal pen, camo Serria with Zebra refill, Need to make another..

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Haven't heard of the Zebra refill.
Do they write in black and white stripes:question::biggrin::biggrin:
(ducks and runs for cover)

rjwolfe3

If you are talking about the Liquid Ink refills from Perfect Pen Co, they are not quite the same as a gel. They are better then the standard cross refills but they do not write as nice as a gel. I bought a bunch on someone's recommendation here that they were like gel and they are not the same at all. Just thought I would point that out.

dustmaker

The slimline takes a cross type refill and your options maybe somewhat limited there, but with parker type refills I have been using EasyFlow ink. I carry a Jr. Statesman fine point rollerball and a Sierra click with EasyFlow and quite frankly the writing experience is virtually the same between the two. The Jr. States is a nicer pen, but I digress. I got the EasyFlow upgrades from Exotic Blanks. Now I'll never be able to use a ballpoint ever again (and Ed did NOT pay me to say that)!

Top Bottom