Replacement Parts for Mandrel???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Stinkalot

Well I have finally reached the stage where there is a need to replace my pen mandrel. The bushes are fine, the 2mt taper is fine and I still have the locking nuts. As far as I can see the mandel itself is slightly bent.

Is it possible to get a replacement of just the mandel itself without the need for the replacement taper, bushes, nuts etc.

$21 for a small steel rod just seems over the top when everything else is perfectly servicable.

Thanks Stinky.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Yep, I've seen the rods being sold by themselves on various places...not sure which ones you can access from Australia though.

its_virgil

If you know someone who has a metal lathe then you can make your own, or have a machine shop make one. Use the appropriate size drill rod. Ordering one for me is cheaper than having one made at a machine shop. I'm lucky to have a friend in town with a metal lathe in his garage.

All of our suppliers sell just replacement shafts. The one I get from Woodcraft when I'm in the Dallas area is: Replacement Mandrel Shaft Woodcraft Part #141502 Price: $2.99. Other suppliers have similar replacement shafts.

There are also some notes and instructions in the files on how to straighten mandrel shafts.

do a good turn daily!
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Sir_Stinkalot
<br />Well I have finally reached the stage where there is a need to replace my pen mandrel. The bushes are fine, the 2mt taper is fine and I still have the locking nuts. As far as I can see the mandel itself is slightly bent.

Is it possible to get a replacement of just the mandel itself without the need for the replacement taper, bushes, nuts etc.

$21 for a small steel rod just seems over the top when everything else is perfectly servicable.

Thanks Stinky.

JimQ

Just check with where you bought the mandrel originally. They should sell them, or be able to tell you where to get them.

JimQ

Sir_Stinkalot

Thanks for the comments guys .....
In Australia we tend to have limited numbers of pen suppliers ..... I have spoken to the original mandrel seller and they don't have access to the rod alone. It would be a simple job for an engineering firm however last time I had a small job done it was a minimum charge of $50.00. It may be worth looking into it as I may be able to get 15 rods for this price. I will investigate the option of ordering from the US however there are many suppliers not willing to post internationally.

Cheers

Stinky.

johncrane

hi SIR/STINKALOT good name mate' not sure of your state if you are in vic.you could try Carrol's wood craft supplies. phone no 0352513874 / http:www.cws.au.com/ he will be able to help. or now where to get one. if not buy some 1/4 rod and tread it your self

johncrane

well if he could not help you. I would think it is time to do the AUSSIE THING.get some 1/4 rod and cut some thread into it you could make differnt lenths.ie for the pens with one tube. I mite have to do it my self.you say your rod is bent no dout you checked your head stock/tailstock.with the rod in it.try bending it in the vice.hope this helps let us now what you come up with.

Ron Mc

Which Pro mandrel are you using? Do you happen to know who made it? If so I'd be more than happy to pick it up for you and send it. All you have to do is pay me back for shipping and the part. If there is anything else that you need from the states let me know. As long as it all fits in an "International Priority" envelope your in great shape.

Sir_Stinkalot

Ron ....

Thank you so much for the kind offer. I have bookmarked your site so if you ever get a strange request from Australia you will know what it is about. [:D]

For some reason Australia get a very limited supply of pen parts from the states with only a handful of suppliers sticking mostly to the slim lines. I don't know of a supplier over here who sells the Barons or Statesmen. Ordering from the States generally isn't an issue however it is difficult to find one store that sells everything that you want so by the time you order from a number of places the postage makes it uneconomical.

I will send an email off to Woodcraft and see if they can help me out.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom