Replacement for Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

AS most turners realize the "standard pen " has been the Jr Gentleman II. With the changing of the threads the kit is now on the chopping block

I'm searching a complete replacement. I'm searching a quality pen the price is not a factor. I'm searching and wanting quality. That is what my clients want.

I have used THE baron & Sedona. BUT I'm still searching for....

What are the opinion of the turners here on the following stainless steel kits.

Desire, Night Hawk, Venetian, Sicilian, & the Eagle. Of these which would you replace the Jr. Gent with?

thank you. :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I would go with the eagle. You still have the custom finial option with the eagle. Some of the others might too. I'm not familiar with all of them.

Dan Masshardt

I like almost everything about the stainless sets except the holding of metal on metal threads for the cap.

Another one to look at might be the triton. Could be a little to fancy for a gent replacement though.

OKLAHOMAN

Just thinking out loud....changing to another component set gains you just another component set you still wont be able to change the section on your in stock Jr. Gents. As you said it's been a standard component set for you and all the NEW sets you order will be interchangeable. Ben Williams has said that the old treads were almost sold out and when you order you can ask to receive the new or the old if any old are left.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF I recall correctly, Ben Williams also said the threads were not going to be changed.
I believe he is an honest man, but I don't believe he has any control over this.

brownsfn2

Why would the changing of threads put it on the chopping block? Because you can't interchanged old pieces with new pieces? In 4 years I have never needed to do that. Maybe I am missing something.

I like the Triton for a good alternative.

NittanyLion

I myself like the changes to the Gent II. I'm like Ron, I do not really understand why computability with old threads makes a difference.

As for replacements, PSI is taking the route of "bling" and jazzed up gaudy pens. A couple of options are out their from others, but not in the high quality platings(I.e. atrax, triton). My preference would be one of the stainless sets if price can be kept down....but availability of these kits have been poor....pretty much impossible to get without a long wait. I'm content with the Gent II and will likely remain with it for now.

Dan Masshardt

I understand why it's a problem for big sellers who make this part of their plan. I really do.

But for must of us it's a non issue for the most part.

I don't think customers naturally expect that pens can be swapped around. It is a nice selling feature though.

avbill

i have customers with the old system and love their Ftn nib and want to use it on new pen bodies. and then a client pays $$$$ for a writing instrument you need to service them... kindly and respectfully

SteveG

The underlying issue is the desire to have a "Go To" component set that is quality, classic, and very importantly, consistent. It is highly desirable to be able to reconfigure the finished pen for the customer standing in front of you, credit card at the ready, as either a FP or a RB, right there at the point of sale, with the confidence that the switch will work. The Jr Gent II has gone through multiple thread changes, and may be settling out (not sure...different views on this point expressed right in this thread) to be that there will NOT be cross-compatibility with the threads for the FP and RB models. The implication is that the pen maker/seller will need to greatly increase inventory due to that loss of flexibility. So...time to find a good replacement. Good by Jr Gent II as the "Go To".

NittanyLion

The underlying issue is the desire to have a "Go To" component set that is quality, classic, and very importantly, consistent. It is highly desirable to be able to reconfigure the finished pen for the customer standing in front of you, credit card at the ready, as either a FP or a RB, right there at the point of sale, with the confidence that the switch will work. The Jr Gent II has gone through multiple thread changes, and may be settling out (not sure...different views on this point expressed right in this thread) to be that there will NOT be cross-compatibility with the threads for the FP and RB models. The implication is that the pen maker/seller will need to greatly increase inventory due to that loss of flexibility. So...time to find a good replacement. Good by Jr Gent II as the "Go To".

Steve,
I do not believe this is accurate. I think they do work together once again. I hate to hash this out again...it's been beat to death, but I recall Josh from CSUSA posting in a thread several months ago that the threads were changed at one point, but in the process of being changed back so they were compatable. That was months ago, so I assume it's done by now. Maybe he or someone else can confirm?

SteveG

Steve,
I do not believe this is accurate. I think they do work together once again. I hate to hash this out again...it's been beat to death, but I recall Josh from CSUSA posting in a thread several months ago that the threads were changed at one point, but in the process of being changed back so they were compatable. That was months ago, so I assume it's done by now. Maybe he or someone else can confirm?

I was just putting a post here for some who might not know WHY it is an issue. I mentioned that I was not sure, but it you reread post 4 and 5 you see two differing views by those who might be better informed than I. Personally, I will be thrilled if all the bumps in the road are resolved, and we are in fact back to the "good old days", because I relied on that mode of selling Jr Gent II pens. Oh, the good old days!

RickLong

Personally, I can't believe this is still an issue. I first noticed this and posted this issue over 13 months ago (March 2013). Here is the Thread

I'm still searching but the Tritono from Berea has been doing well and feels solid too.

Good Luck!

Bryan

tim self

Personally, I can't believe this is still an issue. I first noticed this and posted this issue over 13 months ago (March 2013). Here is the Thread

I'm still searching but the Tritono from Berea has been doing well and feels solid too.

Good Luck!

Bryan

The only reason this is still an issue is we still have some of the old threads in stock and will not interchange as we all know. When I have a customer wanting FP only I USED to be able to tell them to pick a skin, I'll make it into what ever you want. This in not completely the case until the old stock is gone. I am pleased that almost everything will interchange but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you are unable to make the sale on the spot.

I was blessed last fall when a customer wanted 4 that I couldn't deliver immediately but could after I went home and disassembled a couple to make it work.

Top Bottom