Replacement drill bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRMiller

It seems I lost my 7mm drill bit as many of my tools seem to grow legs and walk away. Can't get one locally so I do have to order if I want one. What I was wondering if anyone has ever used a 9/32 in place of a 7mm for slim line pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

a 9/32 is .2813 inches, a 7mm is .2756 inches. Only a difference of .0057 if my math is correct.

Chances are that won't be a problem.

It might even be a benefit if you are using an acrylic blank and want to paint the inside of the blank so the tubes don't show through the finished pen.

Dave

watchman7

Bill Baumbeck, former owner of Arizona Silhouettes, recommended using 9/32 drill bit for 7mm tubes in one of his videos. Definitely an advantage if you reverse paint the blank and paint the tube also.

lyonsacc

Forgot to add - use something other than thin CA to glue in the tube - at least medium or epoxy to help fill in any loose gaps.

GRMiller

I went and got Gorilla Epoxy 5 min and I will see how the 9/32 bit works. I am thinking of getting a brad point drill bit to see how that works on acrylics. The bits that come with the kits seem to wander to much for my liking. I just got my lathe center drilling set up from PSI and blew out another acrylic but it was a damaged one already so no great loss. So far I have done 5 pen pencil sets, 5 slim line, 5 trim line, 3 30 cal bolt, and 1 cancer awareness for the wife. I am setting up to do 4 Olive Wood from Beth for some church members who graduate next week for Lay servant class with cross clips and trim line body.
I was given 2 X 6 X 18 IN piece of Mahogany, and a but load of ash. Plus I have 200 board feet of Maple and trying to hook up some cherry.

Last edited:

co_goose

Be careful drilling the olivewood. Back out the bit often and clean off the bit as the wood chips stick to the bit. I didn't do that on my first blank and promptly shattered it to pieces. The rest of the blanks I would drill about 1/4" and then back out the bit and clean it off, drill another 1/4" and back it out again, slow and tedious, but it worked and didn't ruin the blank.

Goose

Top Bottom