Replace bearing in 60 degree live center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

I bought an MT2, 60 deg. live center from Woodcraft about a month ago and it's already starting to make grinding noises. Is it possible to change the bearing? I've had the cover off but can't figure out how to get the bearing out. We have a pretty good bearing source locally if I can get it out.
Any suggestions?

As always, thanks for your expert help.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

You can try and exchange it, not sure how that will go.

You definitely can change bearings on expensive live centers, just send it back. They will replace bearings and recalibrate before returning.

Most places catering to woodturners do not carry live centers with that option, will either replace or tell you to buy a new one.

sbell111

Regarding the OP's tool center, I would take it back to woodcraft and see if they will replace it.

Regarding live centers in general, I am going to swim against the current of opinion. Rather than buy an expensive piece, I bought a Grizzly one for something like twelve bucks. When it croaks, I'll buy another just like it.

As to whether my plan will pay off, a quick forum search found that I made a similar post to a similar thread back in the summer of 2008. We've made several hundred pens since then, but still use the same live center.

Mike D

If it's only a month old I'd take it bake and make them exchange it or give you your money back. I've only had one problem with a product I bought at Woodcraft and they were very helpfull.

pianomanpj

Some live centers have a screw that you can undo so you can oil the bearings. I don't know if the ones from WC are like that, but it's worth a look.

I'm always wary of low-cost centers. Not so much because of longevity, but because of run-out. If you have a dial gauge and it measures within acceptable tolerances, than good score on the cheap tool! I don't have a local source for centers so I don't have the luxury of checking the centers before purchase. I just find that buying a quality tool out of the gate saves me aggravation.

Top Bottom